PDA

View Full Version : Dusk at White Dome Geyser

Roman Kurywczak
09-24-2009, 01:56 PM
OK....another White Dome image just to show that you never know what you will get even if you've photographed the subject 100's of times. I find that in landscape photography, more often than in bird or animal photography the same subject can look radically different because of clouds and the light so it is often best to re-visit a familiar place often. This was my last evening in Yellowstone and the clouds didn't look like much......all of a sudden a few moved in and after moving around the boardwalk found a nice angle......it also helped that the sky to the west was fairly bright....10 minutes after the sun had set to help illuminate the geyser so no split ND was necessary. The color was modest....so the enhancer and warmer were both used. I had to actually tone down some of the reds toget it to my liking....so the filter/PP'ing debate will still rage on! I have one more I will post in the next few days of this geyser as a silhouette....with the colors......proof that working even a familiar and often photographed subject can lead to new and exciting results! I did look on the tiffs for the "halo" that appears on the backside of the geyser. Steam does flow down that side as some water rushes down and it does appear on the converted tiffs...so I chose to leave it.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the 28-135mm lens at 41mm and f25 for 1.3 sec. at ISO 800 all tripod mounted and bubble level in hot shoe. Noise ninja used in PP'ing.

denise ippolito
09-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Another fantastic image Roman. You did a great job framing this and getting the colors out of the sky.Nicely done.

Gerald_Gilligan
09-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Roman,
What a beautiful image!
The overall softness sets the mood for this one...
Jerry

Dave Leroy
09-24-2009, 10:44 PM
In addition to the above the flow of the geysers and clouds work well together. Dave

Morkel Erasmus
09-25-2009, 01:35 AM
almost dreamlike Roman. lovely strong composition, colour tones and symmetry in the lines as mentioned above. I wish I could see this place someday :)

Robert Amoruso
09-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Great looking image Roman. I like the low vantage point. It is all about the light. ;)

Harshad Barve
09-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Super shot Ramon , Colors came out bautifuly
TFS

Harold Davis
09-25-2009, 03:45 PM
the clouds do it for me. like cigarette smoke on steroids!!!! as far as the red filter, i would leave it in the sky, but may tone it down on the sand below the geyser.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
09-26-2009, 07:01 AM
Very nice Roman, timing is everything.

Lance Warley
09-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Very dramatic, beautifully done, Roman. Your explanation really helps understand your photo thought process.

You mentioned "enhancer." Do you use the Singh-Ray LB Color Intensifier? I've been thinking about it but I can't find anyone who has some experience with it. I have the Singh-Ray Gold-Blue and don't like it at all - too over the top for me.

Enhancer aside, great work.