PDA

View Full Version : Lyin' Lion

Morkel Erasmus
09-24-2009, 09:44 AM
This is the same lion (photographed in the Kruger National Park) as the leading one in my post 'Backlit Lions' (see http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45975).

This was taken through dense foliage and I found the only spot where I could get a clear view of him surveying his surroundings. I went for a sepia feel here in order to enhance textures since there were a lot of different colours from the various types of foliage around the lion, which distracted the eye when viewing the image.

Any suggestions on further improving this image will be greatly appreciated! This is about 80% of the original image.

Techs:
Canon 1000D with 100-400mm L IS USM @ 400mm
f6.3 @ 1/500 SS @ ISO-800
Exp 0

David Fletcher
09-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Nice conversion Morkel. Think it shows it off very well. Like the way you have framed this and that its looking back into the image. WD!

Harshad Barve
09-24-2009, 10:45 AM
lovely compo & conversion
TFS

Stu Bowie
09-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Mork, super comp and pose, and I like how the lion is surrounded by the lighter foliage. The big guy is sharp, and I wonder if you couldnt blur more of the BG above him.

Sabyasachi Patra
09-25-2009, 01:45 AM
Nice image Morkel! I may brighten it a bit.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Morkel Erasmus
09-25-2009, 02:12 AM
thanks for viewing and the suggestions Dave, Harshad, Stu & Sabya...

here is another version with 2 changes:
* BG above lion blurred some more
* lightened a tad

what do you think now? I'm thinking of turning this into a fine art print?

Chris Kotze
09-25-2009, 05:42 AM
Works well Morkel sharp and super detail.

Robert Amoruso
09-25-2009, 08:42 AM
I like the head position and you good a good clear image of him.

Suggestions for the repost:

1) Reverse s-curve to lower contrast.
2) Levels, set black point in dark area below mane. Lighten overall gamma using center gray point slider.
3) Selective Color, added 4% black to neutral, black and white channels to increase inherent contrast.

Morkel Erasmus
09-25-2009, 10:04 AM
thanks Chris

Robert, thanks for the feedback and taking the time to work on my image. To me, your version seems to have lost some of the 'punch' and detail lines in its mane, and as it stands I still prefer my last repost. :)
Does it seem to have too much contrast as presented in my last repost?