09-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Canon 40D
Tamron 17 - 50 mm
45mm
72"
EC 0.0
7 32
ISO 100

I shot this view of Louisville, KY, with my daughter back in June. this is the first time I tried this, and I think I prob used the wrong settings. lol 72 seconds????? wow, that sounds like it was prob too long of an exposure! I took a number of shots, trying different settings. I chose this one because I like the blue in the bridge. Another question I had with these is that some came out RGB and some came out sRGB. I don't know what I did to get that result either. boy, I have a lot to learn!

At least with what I have here, what can I do to adjust it better?
And next time, how do I shoot it better?

thanks!
Cheryl

Jackie Schuknecht
09-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Cheryl, I like the colours on the skyline and it looks well exposed. Just find the black of the bridge a little distracting. Next time might go for just skyline all the way across.

Alfred Forns
09-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Hi Cheryl

Great for the first try !!!! Couple of suggestions Could reduce saturation on the red/yellow and could bring some detail. Settings wise do increase the ISO for a shorter exposure unless your trying some special effect !! ... also remember you can stitch two or three together for wider shot !!!

Cheryl Flory
09-22-2009, 07:30 PM
is this one better?

Lance Peters
09-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Hi cheryl - repost works much better for me - the removal of the black section of the bridge improves.
Like it. Good advice above :)

Cheryl Flory
09-22-2009, 08:02 PM
OK, used F13 instead on this one so got 15 sec exposure.
can you tell with this small version if the shorter exposure time helped any?

Jeff Cashdollar
09-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Repost better, must crisper with shorter shutter - not bad.

I assume the RGB issue was the way you saved the images?

Post your metering info too, thanks.

William Malacarne
09-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Another question I had with these is that some came out RGB and some came out sRGB. I don't know what I did to get that result either. boy, I have a lot to learn!

thanks!
Cheryl

If your camera was set to RGB it will only shoot in RGB while in the creative zones and will automatically switch to sRGB if you should change the dial to one of the basic zones. It will go back to RGB when you put the dial back into crative zone. I hope you can decipher what I am trying to say. It is on page 172 of the manual.

Bill

Gus Cobos
09-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Hi Cheryl,
good advise given...I like your repost 100 percent...keep them coming...:cool:

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
09-22-2009, 11:09 PM
I like the repost with faster shutter speed, it looks sharper and less noise (long exposure noise probably comes into play here).

I do like the blue light on top of the bridge but the black underneath distract the image. Maybe a HDR shot might give you some details underneath the bridge. Agree about stitching image together for wider or pano shot. So next time maybe a HDR panorama shot of this scene :)

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Like the re-post better, but i also like the colors on the bridge maybe there is a way to get the bridge in the shot but making it work. Great job can't wait to see the next one:)