PDA

View Full Version : Fall on the Firehole River

Roman Kurywczak
09-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Decided to play with some long exposures on the water one cloudy afternoon. I did use the Singh Ray Vari-ND filter to really slow down the SS and did vary them quite a bit to see which blur I liked best......as usual for my tastes.....it was my longest ones.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the 28-135mm lens at 95mm and f22 for 30 seconds all tripod mounted...almost ground level with bubble level in hot shoe. Slightly cropped off bottom & top for composition.

Jay Gould
09-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Gosh, I can't wait to play with mine!! I too like long exposures. The image is lovely - how many stops did you dial in? BTW - I have joined the filter school and ordered the Warming PL and Color Intensifier. Drink a port for me and pretend I am there! Thanks for you continued assistance.

Roman Kurywczak
09-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Hey Jay,
Night quite sure on the ND stops but I kept dialing it in until I hit a 30 second exposure! I did try other exposures on the way down.....just be careful of wind blown objects (grasses especially)...but the effect is sometimes pretty cool on that!
Welcome to the filter brigade and since it is my last night here in Yellowstone I think I will have the port to celebrate a wonderful trip!

Robert Amoruso
09-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Your making me real jealous Roman. :)

denise ippolito
09-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Roman, I love the soft flowing water and the pop of golden colors on the shoreline. I want to try this!!

Rich Ikerd
09-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Really like this one Roman - the steel gray water contrast the colorful plants quite nicely. Not too sure about the centered large rock - a placement a bit further left would give a better flow to the image IMO. But the silkiness here is perfect.

Andreas Freund
09-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Hi Roman,
this photo is really nice. The water looks like liquid steel or mercury. I have to try that too :-)
Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
09-25-2009, 01:59 AM
ditto Andreas - looks like molten steel or mercury :)
love the touch of yellow on the opposite shoreline. nice one Roman!

Julie Kenward
09-25-2009, 08:00 AM
That is an extraordinary image, Roman. The combo of that beautiful steel grey water with that pop of yellow...lovely!

Harold Davis
09-25-2009, 04:18 PM
the rocks in the river are too dang sharp!!! :) really cool effect with the long exposure. pretty dreamy. nice job!

Lance Warley
09-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Ditto all of the above, Roman.

The sharpness in the rocks and the color of the yellow foliage combine with the long exposure water blur to make this a killa.