PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed: 50D Pop-up Flash

Arthur Morris
09-22-2009, 05:32 AM
I am selling one of my two 50D bodies and was doing a general check. I noted that the flash did not pop up when I pushed the button on the left side. I checked the flash settings in the menu and it says, something like this "Cannot show this item: External Flash attached." Then I checked the body that I use regularly; it says the same thing.

So the problem is that the camera thinks that there is an external flash mounted but there is not.

Any and all help appreciated.

arash_hazeghi
09-22-2009, 06:04 AM
Switch the dial to "M" mode and press the flash button, flash should pop regardless of any settings, if it does not then one or both of the metal levers right below the hot shoe rail have been bent and are touching the metal base so camera thinks external flash has been mounted (Short circuit). You can unbend the lever(s) easily.

Arthur Morris
09-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Hi Arash,

Thanks a ton. Manual mode did not help. The metal levers did not appear to be depressed but I did lift them up with a tiny flat blade screwdriver and that did not help either. (I had been hopeful...)

I am waiting to hear back from Rudy Winston at Canon.

Thanks again for the macro image!

Tell Dickinson
09-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Hi, I *think* if you look closely there is a little switch underneath the metal levers about half way along which is depressed when a flash is attached, just on one side, rather than it just being a short circuit like arash indicated :)

Tell

Joe Milmoe
09-30-2009, 07:03 AM
note to self: don't buy used 50D from Arthur Morris :)

Arthur Morris
09-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Note to Joe: If I wanted to stick somebody with defective gear, do you think that I would have started this thread?

Arthur Morris
09-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi, I *think* if you look closely there is a little switch underneath the metal levers about half way along which is depressed when a flash is attached, just on one side, rather than it just being a short circuit like arash indicated :) Tell

I looked but could not see the switch. Thanks!

Jay Gould
09-30-2009, 11:39 AM
note to self: don't buy used 50D from Arthur Morris :)

Note to Joe: not funny even in jest!