PDA

View Full Version : My first post: Blue-naped Chlorophonia from Brazil

luisflorit
09-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi,

I'm a Argentinian-Brazilian birder/macro guy living in Rio de Janeiro, and just joined this club. I mostly shoot with an Oly E3 with a 50-200 lens and a 1.4 teleconverter (and some with a 2x TC, as the one below). I've seen many outstanding photographs here taken with outstanding technique, and I hope the beauty of my subjects can overcome my limitations as a photographer.

Just to say hello, here is a male of aBlue-naped Chlorophonia (Fringillidae: Chlorophonia cyanea) (it is called 'Little flag' here since it has precisely the Brazilian flag colors), taken a few days ago in Itatiaia National Park, Rio de Janeiro.

1/125s F10.0 at 400mm, ISO 100, Flash On, Fired (-1 stop comp): Olympus E3 with Zuiko ED 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 SWD and Zuiko EC-20 2.0x TC

http://w3.impa.br/%7Eluis/fotos/0908_aves_it/bandeirinha_IT-090830-O_27757a.jpg

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Welcome to BPN. :) This is a great little bird. If anything, I think the right side of the frame is a little close to the tail. I am not bothered by the slightly busy-looking background. Thanks for sharing. :) Bring 'em on!

Randy Stout
09-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Welcome to BPN.

Quite a colorful guy to start with.

I agree with Akos about he crop, tail needs more room. The light was pretty harsh here (note dark shadows) and quite high in the sky (location of shadows).

I would consider toning down the branches in the background a bit, would help concentrate our attention on the bird, although he is pretty attention demanding!

Look forward to more.

Again, welcome.

Randy

luisflorit
09-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Akos,
Yes, I agree with the crop. My intention was to move the bird from the center, yet preserving the tight crop. About the background, I do some cloning/PPing usually, but tend to leave some of the environment. I prefer something in the background that an absolute homogeneous one. Also, I don't like plasticky backgrounds, so I don't mind a bit of noise.

Thanks for the comment!
Cheers,
L.

luisflorit
09-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Randy,
Yes, the light was harsh. Actually, it is extremely unlikely that you can get full sunny days in Itatiaia. In general, backgrounds are grey or blown out. I have been in Itatiaia many times, and this was one of the few with such nice weather.

Thanks!
Cheers,
L.

Ramon M. Casares
09-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Not the idea light but lovey species, detail, colors and sharpness! Big welcome and congratulations!

Arthur Morris
09-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Way cool flag colors and bird but image optimization skills could have been better used to combat the harsh light and dark shadows. Curves, SH H, add canvas, and a QM went into the repost.

Aidan Briggs
09-21-2009, 07:12 PM
The repost is a huge improvement on a nice image, the crop on the bottom, and the the S/H really helped.

In future situations fill flash might help for harsh lighting. I like the perfect HA, and of course the awesome bird.

Keep them coming!

luisflorit
09-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Hi Arthur,

Thanks for the work on my pic and the suggestions!! However, let me say that, in your version, I don't quite like the bird dead centered in the frame (unless some symmetry is pointed out), the lack of contrast because of your curves adj, and the PP artefacts left at the added canvas. Actually, I believe I have some 'image optimization skills' to make what you did... This was the original pic (just resized):

http://w3.impa.br/%7Eluis/fotos/lixo/bandeirinha_IT-090830-O_27757.jpg

But I appreciate your comments.

Thanks!
L.

luisflorit
09-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Hi Aidan,
Thanks for the comments, please see my answer to Arthur. About the fill flash, as I wrote right before the picture, it was actually used with -1 EV. You can see the flash light in the eye in the version I posted to Arthur. However, as you all pointed out the harsh light, it should have been better to set up the flash with -2/3 or -1/3 EV instead of -1. I will take this into account near midday.

Thanks again!!
L.

Arthur Morris
09-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Luis,

re:

Thanks for the work on my pic and the suggestions!!

YAW.

However, let me say that, in your version, I don't quite like the bird dead centered in the frame.

Let me say that in my repost the bird is not "dead centered in the frame." It is not at all centered. There is about three times as much room from the bill to the frame edge than from the tail to the frame edge so I really do not understand what you are talking about.

(unless some symmetry is pointed out).

I do not know what you mean by that.

, the lack of contrast because of your curves adj.

Your original post was far too contrasty not too mention much too dark with dark pretty much black shadows.

, and the PP artefacts left at the added canvas.

You got me on that as I was working quickly and only with a jpeg.

Actually, I believe I have some 'image optimization skills' to make what you did...

If that is true why did you post an image that was way too dark and way too contrasty?

luisflorit
09-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Following the suggestions, I left a bit more space at the right, and opened the shadows a bit (still, I preserved the shadows at the feet). Perhaps not enough? What I like most about this new version is that the iris of the bird is more noticeable.

http://w3.impa.br/%7Eluis/fotos/lixo/bandeirinha_IT-090830-O_27757a.jpg

Thanks to all!
L.

luisflorit
09-21-2009, 09:04 PM
However, let me say that, in your version, I don't quite like the bird dead centered in the frame.

Let me say that in my repost the bird is not "dead centered in the frame." It is not at all centered. There is about three times as much room from the bill to the frame edge than from the tail to the frame edge so I really do not understand what you are talking about.

What I meant to say is that, in your version, the center of mass of the bird is almost exactly in the middle of the frame. The tail is too small in comparison with the body and head, and is visually almost irrelevant.

(unless some symmetry is pointed out).

I do not know what you mean by that.
That I only center a subject when I want to point out some symmetries.

, the lack of contrast because of your curves adj.

Your original post was far too contrasty not too mention much too dark with dark pretty much black shadows.
Well, I suppose that the contrast is a matter of taste here, since I prefer mine. But I agree about the shadows (although in my monitor they are far from being black).

Actually, I believe I have some 'image optimization skills' to make what you did...

If that is true why did you post an image that was way too dark and way too contrasty?
The fact that a person didn't correct an issue doesn't mean that the person is unable to correct it. Perhaps the person just didn't notice the problem... Anyway, I commented on both issues above.

Thanks again for your time.

Cheers,
L.

Doug Brown
09-22-2009, 08:58 AM
First of all, welcome to BPN Luis! As usual, there is a lively discussion about how to improve both in-camera and post-processing techniques. I think it's great that you chose a bird with the colors of your country. I like that you are open to suggestions from forum participants, because that's the best way to improve your photography. Your most recent repost is a big improvement, although I still prefer Artie's, which opens up the shadows a little more. Look forward to more of your images!

Harshad Barve
09-22-2009, 09:19 AM
spectacular bird to start with , Big welcome to BPN and good advice given above
keep them posting
TFS

luisflorit
09-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Doug,
Thanks for the critique, and the wonderful warm welcome!! Actually, I came here with the sole purpose to improve my photography. Any C&C is highly appreciated, even the ones that I don't agree with.

Cheers!!
L.

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Very nice first post! Welcome to BPN.

Love the colors in this one. I also believe that Arthur's version is better, but take on offense, he knows what he is doing.
I hope to see more of the beautiful birds of your country.

luisflorit
09-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Hi Juan,
Thanks for the welcome and the opinion!

Of course I didn't take anything as an offense. I just didn't agree, specially about the composition (exposure, after all, could be a matter of monitor calibration). Actually, looking at the pictures of BPN, I observed a tendency of centering the main subjects, stronger than anywhere I've seen. But everything is a matter of taste after all.

Cheers!
L.

Bill Jobes
09-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Greetings and a warm welcome to BPN!
You are fortunate to have such beautiful birds to photograph!
You did a good job of capturing this one under extreme light conditions.
In the spirit of continuing the dialogue, I offer yet another way to look at your image.
In my interpretation, I used S/H, exposure adjustment, and minor changes in saturation and contrast.
I wanted to try to smooth out the light extremes and brighten the overall feel of the image.
My initial motivation was to bring out more shadow detail.
I trust you don't mind seeing my interpretation of your fine photograph.

luisflorit
09-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi Bill,
Thanks for the rework on my picture! It really seems that the BPR people like very bright pictures with no shadows... 99% of my photography is inside dark closed rainforests (flash is always a must), and this guy was an exception: my birds are rarely under sunlight or even strong light. So I better don't show you my other pictures! :)
About your repost, the true colors of the bird are darker and less saturated. But it's not your fault if you never saw the bird before, of course. It seems to me that you also applied a filter that left a strong white halo below the bird and around the frame.

Thanks again to you and all for the warm welcome and the time to comment and work on my picture!

Cheers,
L.