EF 500mm + 1.4x
1/1250 sec at f / 5.6
ISO 400

Sandy Hook
Today

Randy Stout
09-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Michael:

Tremendous wing extension, flying water,low angle, nice.

It looks like the nictitating membrane is closed, as the eye isn't very sharp, but the beak is good.

He really looks drenched! From a comp standpoint, vertical was a good choice, might add a smidge to left, not much.

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
09-21-2009, 04:02 PM
I like the raised wings, eye contact and angle and agree with Randy regarding the eye. I would tone down the whites some more.

How was the shorebird situation today?

Morkel Erasmus
09-21-2009, 04:32 PM
lovely timing, wingspread and exposure! whites look fine to me. lovely details and droplets with wing movement shown. I like how the in focus water and OOF water/land separation splits the image into thirds.

Ramon M. Casares
09-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Nice light, pose action and detail, I would only recomend to tone down the whites just a tad.
Congratulations!

Michael Zajac
09-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Here's my repost.

Ed Cordes
09-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Michael, i like the repost a lot better. I am trying to decide if the image is a bit over sharpened. I decided that it is probably OK in real life bit on the net the sharpening looks a bit too much. Like everyone I love the action pose.

Stu Bowie
09-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Well timed to capture the upturned wings, and I like the angle in this. Good to see the trailing droplets, and your repost works well.

Arthur Morris
09-22-2009, 05:27 AM
Great pose. Had the bird just missed a fish? Good job in part with the repost. The eye repair is good. Did you borrow and eye from another image or re-build the eye in the original frame?

You have over-done the whites in the repost; they look grey. Do search around in ER and look for my Great Egrret image--I did the same thing.

Michael Zajac
09-22-2009, 06:23 AM
Great pose. Had the bird just missed a fish? Good job in part with the repost. The eye repair is good. Did you borrow and eye from another image or re-build the eye in the original frame?

You have over-done the whites in the repost; they look grey. Do search around in ER and look for my Great Egrret image--I did the same thing.

Artie, I had to replace the eye w/ one from another frame.I had noticed you had done it in one of your more recent posts and thought I would give it a try. I liked the whites in my OP but listening to comments written I tried to tone them down and I agree they look "overdone" in the repost. The bird had just missed a fish. I read all of your ER and find them quite helpful-Thankyou for your time.

Michael Zajac
09-22-2009, 06:23 AM
Thankyou all for your comments and suggestions.

Arthur Morris
09-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Michael, Thanks for the info, the comments, and your kind words. The basic question now is, "Are there hot pixels in the original post?"
I will be right back with the answer. (My guess would be yes....)

Michael Zajac
09-22-2009, 07:33 AM
Michael, Thanks for the info, the comments, and your kind words. The basic question now is, "Are there hot pixels in the original post?"
I will be right back with the answer. (My guess would be yes....)

Yes, There were.

Arthur Morris
09-22-2009, 07:35 AM
I was correct. The red box clearly shows that there are lots of overexposed pixels at the highlight end. In fact, most of the white in the underwings is clipped.

As it states clearly in the Saving the Whites thread in ER, you need to go back and reconvert this one... You need to study the principles there until you master them.

ps: Yikes. I forgot to upload the image.... It should be here now.

Michael Zajac
09-22-2009, 07:40 AM
I was correct. The red box clearly shows that there are lots of overexposed pixels at the highlight end. In fact, most of the white in the underwings is clipped.

As it states clearly in the Saving the Whites thread in ER, you need to go back and reconvert this one... You need to study the principles there until you master them.

Thanks Artie, I will go back and take a look to see what I can do differently. Usually I delete images w/ this much overexposure but I liked the pose and the soaked look of the Osprey. Again thankyou for your help-:)

Arthur Morris
09-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Michael,

re:

I will go back and take a look to see what I can do differently.

See the stuff in the various threads on converting darker. This is most easily done in ACR.

Usually I delete images w/ this much overexposure but I liked the pose and the soaked look of the Osprey.

If you are seriously interested in improving, you need to master exposure theory. Period.

To learn exposure theory, study the chapter in ABP (the soft cover book). To learn digital exposure, study "Exposure Simplified" in ABP II.

With some experience, you would know that bright whites in sun with most MIII bodies would require 1/1600 at f/8 at ISO 400 so it would be expected that the whites would be toasted.

In your original post, you did not let us know how you came up with 1/1250 at f/5.6.

I continously preach that folks need to be confident in their ability to come up with a good exposure instantly in all situations and that if they are not capable of doing so, they will--over time--miss some spectacular opportunities. (We do not always have time to check our histograms; that is why we need to learn exposure theory....)

One of my continuing rants is that folks with $10K or more of of gear actually need to put in time studying extensively if they are to improve.... Buying a big lens and a pro body does not make anyone a good photographer.

So get to work :)

Again thankyou for your help.

YAW but you need to help you. I only wish that the info available today had been available to me in 1983....

Harshad Barve
09-23-2009, 07:55 AM
Very good suggations given here by Arthur & agreed
I am loving those wings
TFS