PDA

View Full Version : Wood Stork at first light

Bob Blanchard
02-10-2008, 09:45 PM
This from this morning. This was the best angle I could get on him, so I tried a light fill flash to offset any heavy shadows. Metered of the white chest feathers. I have a full frame of the entire bird, but felt a portrait was nicer.

Canon 1DsMII, EF 600mm f/4L, 580Ex Flash, tripod, f/4, 1/250, ISO 200
http://CatcherofLight.smugmug.com/photos/253046946_mFn32-X1.jpg

Robert O'Toole
02-10-2008, 10:01 PM
I like the dramatic lighting and the pose but the whites have 2 hot spots on my monitor. For something like this with the huge contrast range many times the only way is either blending 2 conversions (One Plus and one minus) or sometimes even a Pseudo HDR (HDR from one image) otherwise you can spend too much time trying to open shadows and taming the highlights.

Robert

Fabs Forns
02-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Nicely compose, Bob. Agree on some of the whites being blown. Please refer to my Stickie in Digital Workflow Forum on hot to save the whites.

Alfred Forns
02-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Hi Bob Did not see your compensation but in this case might have been minus one or more Depending on your metering method

I think is more practical taking the entire scene with Matrix (or equivalent) than going to the white with spot Then the histogram should allow you to fine tune With this image there should have been blinkies on the screen

Roberts idea for blending is excellent

Bob Blanchard
02-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks all,

To tell the truth, I didn't pay very close attention to this during PP. After reading the comments here, I went back to the series and found several without hotspots, and one that even had a far better head pose. That's what I get for rushing through just to get something out. Fortunately, I had some time tonight to go through yesterdays images. Maybe I'll try and fix this one though, just for the practice. I definitely appreciate the advice and training! I'll be dangerous when I learn Photoshop ;)