PDA

View Full Version : Pygmy Nuthatch

Vivek Khanzode
09-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Hi folks,

Have been out of circulation for some time due to work and family commitments. Here is a picture of the "pygmy nuthatch" taken yesterday in the Santa Cruz mountains (south of San Jose, CA).

Technical details: Shot with Canon 300 f/1.8L with a 2X converter on a tripod. Second of a series of shots. PP included NR, sharpening and small amount of curves adjustment. Almost full frame; cropped about 10% on the left side.

All C&C is appreciated.

http://www.khanzode.net/forums/2009/09/200909_0003_pygmy_nuthatch_nsn.jpg

-- Vivek

Randy Stout
09-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Vivek:

An attractive little guy. Nice exposure with excellent detail on the wing, not quite as sharp on the eye to me.

The comp is a little tight, and some more room, esp. to the top and left would help IMO.

The angle of the bird in the frame is the major limitation for me. A shot from the back works best if the head is turned parallel to the sensor.

Randy

Ilija Dukovski
09-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Very nice bird and excellent detail on the plumage.
Very good close capture.
Randy got you great comments about the image.
The problem here is the head angle, a good one would
solve the issues of focus too. I'd only add that you could
improve the look of the eye in PS by cloning out some of the
catch-light.

Daniel Cadieux
09-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Good points from above, with the biggest concerns of course being the HA and critical focus. I'm wondering if you boosted the saturation? I'm finding the blues a bit much, and I expect a bit richer brown on the crown (with less blue in it)? Perhaps adding some warmth in WB would help. Anyhow, cute little fella and he really does look small!

Harshad Barve
09-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Agreed with most of the points covered by Randy here
But what a cool species this is ,
TFS