PDA

View Full Version : Goldfinch and Sunflower

Scott Frye
09-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Lesser Goldfinch at Gilbert Water Ranch

I really like the colors but am thinking that a little more DOF would have been better for the top sunflower

1/2000 at f11 and ISO800 EC -1
Bigma at 500mm
Canon 40D

Graham Smith.
09-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Beautiful shot Scott,
BG is superb, and the perch is fantastic!
Great head angle and pose by the bird too. The OOF flower that intersects behind the bird is just a little distracting.

Matt Vosniak
09-20-2009, 08:02 PM
OOF flower or not Scott this is sweet. The perch is great and I love the bg. Very very nice image.

Randy Stout
09-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Scott:

I do like the framing created by the blossoms. Yes, more DOF for the top one would have been nice, but that would also worsen the distraction caused by the flower behind the bird.

If your ethics allow, I would consider trying a version without the wilted blossom just in front of the bird.

The bird itself is well posed, nice HA, but a little soft on my monitor. Perhaps some selective sharpening would be in order.

Thanks for sharing!

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
09-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Nice bird and setting - a very summerly feel to this image (with these rapidly cooling days up here lately thats a good thingto see!). The flowers are showing some clipped highlights. There are some subtle blotches in the green part of the BG that may or may not come from cloning...either way it may be worth looking into smoothing those out.

Stu Bowie
09-21-2009, 01:21 AM
Scott, super comp, and nicely framed between the two flowers. I like the colours and BG, and would be tempted to clone out the wilting blossom, and the stem coming out of his tail.