PDA

View Full Version : Sunset at Great Fountain Geyser

Roman Kurywczak
09-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Still enjoying Yellowstone.......This was about an hour after my White Dome post. This was with an enhancing and warming filter stacked along with 5 stops (3 and 2 stop) of grad ND filter......definitely one way to pop colors!
Canon 1D Mark lll with the 17-40mm lens at 17mm for 2 seconds at f16 and ISO 100 all tripod mounted with Graf Studioball and bubble level in hot shoe.
White blob in left MG is actually White Dome

Jay Gould
09-20-2009, 05:30 PM
What an amazing image - the filters surely do make the colors POP!!

My eye believes that it needs a drop of CCW rotation.

The old controversy of carry filters or bring out the colors in PP rears it head.

Somebody correct me if necessary; if you use the filters and the colors are too intense it is easier to tone down if the information is in the RAW file than it is to boost when wanted if the information is not present!?

Thanks,

Roman Kurywczak
09-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Hey Jay,
That is one of the reasons I posted this......this image is eligible for many competitions as the color and such is on the RAW file.......so for around $700 it is OK to add B4 proccessing....why not in PP'ing? I chose B4 but that is a personal one and I am OK with people doing it in PP'ing.
As for toning down or boosting.......both easy.....want warmer.....change WB......enhance.....adjust reds......with even more delicate control than the filter as it is global.
The debate rages on and it will be intersting to see how others feel!

Jay Gould
09-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Hey Jay,
That is one of the reasons I posted this......this image is eligible for many competitions as the color and such is on the RAW file.......so for around $700 it is OK to add B4 proccessing....why not in PP'ing? I chose B4 but that is a personal one and I am OK with people doing it in PP'ing.
As for toning down or boosting.......both easy.....want warmer.....change WB......enhance.....adjust reds......with even more delicate control than the filter as it is global.
The debate rages on and it will be intersting to see how others feel!

Roman, is there a contradiction? on the one hand are definitely pushing the filters as a good addition to your kit; on the other hand you say that the adjustments that you can make in PP are "even more delicate control than the filter as it is global."

Isn't the filter covering the whole lens global?

If you do tone up or boost down in PP, does that make the image ineligible for "many competitions"? Are tonal adjustments just as much frowned upon as adding and subtracting bits and pieces?

When we finally meet we will definitely share a Port; I too am a Port lover!!

Roman Kurywczak
09-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Hey Jay,
Yes the filter is global.....so in PP'ing I can make selected changes.....but these are not allowed in most photo competitions......that is why I chose the filteres. Personal choice when it comes down to it.......I accept both but do wonder why the competitions don't allow it since I can do it with filters.
PS Looking forward to the port!

Jackie Schuknecht
09-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Stunning sky Roman. If you post something and the colours are not vibrant people will say why didn't you do this or that. I am not against tweaking or using filters in PP. I think if you approach any magazine, I don't think there would be one out there that doesn't do some fine tuning.

Judy Lynn Malloch
09-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Roman this is just breathtaking !!!! Awesome lighting and reflections and the color is gorgeous as well as a lovely composition. Truly stunning !!! I love it.

Gerald_Gilligan
09-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Roman,
The Landscape Skies are with you... The color and reflections are "Grand"
Nothing to add...
I like the multi filter approach here... I have always wondered if it makes sense to use a warming filter or not, I guess in this case It does and for Fall color it might as well...( Bishop in 2 weeks)
Thank you for sharing your journey and approach it is really insightful !
Jerry

Robert Amoruso
09-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Works for me Roman. Good use of layering in the image to draw the eye in.

Dave Leroy
09-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Very nice Roman. In the composition I like how the elements of the hot pool and the clouds complement each other, almost as a mirror image. Dave

Indranil Sircar
09-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Hi Roman, really excellent colors here! Great composition enhanced with your excellent technique using stacked filters. I am with you on the use of the grad NDs and other stacked up filters for landscape. In fact with filters I am able to get better images for further PP'ing.

Ramesh Adkoli
09-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Simply amazing, Roman. Lovely details and eye catching colors. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Morkel Erasmus
09-21-2009, 05:55 PM
this is dream-like Roman! love the colours, ambience and reflections. interesting discussion regarding pre/post 'colour-enhancing' :)

denise ippolito
09-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Roman, Those are some amazing colors! Nice use of filters and I like the sky reflected.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
09-22-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm glad you are enjoying Yellowstone and I'm enjoying your photo. Also cannot wait to try out the filters from Singh-Ray in Utah. Great colors and the steam really takes me into the photo.

Rich Ikerd
09-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Another beauty Roman. Great colors and exceptional use of the filters to bring out the best of the scene. Now all you need is one of the Great Fountain erupting and you'd be set.