PDA

View Full Version : Wild Oats

Dave Leroy
09-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Taken while on a recent trip through Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Both ends of the tonal range are blown as well as a tad over sharpened. The oversharpening seemed to me to bring out a few more of the highlights in the lower parts of the photo and distract a bit from the blown sun.
50D, 70/200f4 IS at 192mm, 1/1500, f/11, ISO200.
Dave

Julie Kenward
09-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Dave, this is really beautiful! Even though the sun is blown (it is in 99.9% of photos) it's as good as it can be. Many times I've seen them so blown out that you lose detail in the surrounding sky and that's not the case here at all.

I've had a few images like this where the colors graduate from light to dark within the same tonal range and they are always my favorites - you've captured an incredible moment and darn near did it using the ROT's!

My only negative comment would be to possibly try to eliminate the one or two blurry plants towards the bottom - I think if you wanted to clone them out you could using a very high magnification and a light hand. Otherwise, I'd call this image perfect and I'd blow it up and frame it!

Dave Leroy
09-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Thanks Julie. Much appreciated. I have taken your suggestion and cleaned out the blurry stuff and placed in a folder for Christmas Calendars. Dave

Jerry van Dijk
09-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi Dave, great image! I love the colors, the backlight and the threetone BG. Don't mind the blowouts and the oversharpening. Only point of critique is that the sharpening led to noise artifacts on the edge between the darkest BG (lower) band and the middle band. Might be the result of compression though.
Kind regards,

Jerry.

Dave Leroy
09-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks for commenting Jerry. I believe it is noise. I ran Topaz Denoise on the reduced for web sized photo because on larger files the noise was even more noticable. Dave

Alfred Forns
09-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Sweet image Dave !!! Only thing I would do is add a little room above the sun !!

This will make one fine print !!!!

Ed Cordes
09-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Wonderful color gradations. As an alternative a crop from the top eliminating the Sun would also be nice. i like it as is but thought of an alternative.

Vida van der Walt
09-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Dave, this is a stunning image! I love the backlight, warm colours and detail in this. Great mood captured and ditto on making a beautiful print.

Harshad Barve
09-24-2009, 08:14 AM
fantastic concept & excution , loved the colors, agreed with Alfred here
TFS