ISO Speed Ratings = 400
Metering Mode = Spot
Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 400mm
Color Space = sRGB
Exposure Mode = Manual exposure
Handheld using a Bushhawk
80% of frame

I arrived early yesterday morning at one of my local haunts to find two juvenile Northern Harriers sitting in a tree out in a field. I grabbed my gear, put some warm clothes on, and some gloves for the first time this season. (it was 4 Celsius yesterday morning!) I headed out to get some environmental images of the Harriers in the big, old, gnarly tree. As I slowly approached, while holding the camera up to my face and watching through the viewfinder, I got to about the distance where I figured the Harriers would take off and sure enough, one of them lifted. It took me a second to recognize through the viewfinder that the butt I expected to see was actually a face. The Harrier was heading towards me instead of away from me! The juvenile came within about 15' of me, circled, came past me again and landed back on the tree. I quickly filled my buffer and wished it was larger. :) This shot was so close that I clipped both wings, so I cropped it slightly for this resulting image.

Don't you love it when your day starts off like this? :)

Randy Stout
09-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Jody:
Fun story. Lovely colors, great tail flare. I appreciate the reason for cropping in on the wings, but would love to have a bit more room around the top and bottom of the tail, and in front of the head.

There is a little halo effect around the head, subtle, but there.

Hope you have some more from this series.

Cheers

Randy

Ramon M. Casares
09-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Great sotry and yes, indeed.. great way to start the day.
Lovely light, pose, crop, detail and colors. On my monitor the body looks a tad sharpeer than the head.
Congratulations! Nice image!

arash_hazeghi
09-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Magnificent detail of this beauty. Colors and sharpness is superb. Comp-wise I think this tight crop works because of fully open tail. TFS

Connie Mier
09-20-2009, 08:15 PM
The lighting is great, I agree that the tail feathers make this tight crop work, not to mention the feet and the nice HA.