PDA

View Full Version : Ring-billed Gull

Dave Leroy
09-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Taken in early August on one of my first outings with the 500 f/4 IS. 50D, 1/2000, f/4, ISO400 and tripod. Taken on the Tsawwassen Ferry terminal causeway and was cropped to remove another oof gull.
Dave

Ramon M. Casares
09-20-2009, 04:20 PM
I am not crazy about the crop, a better comp leaving some more room to the right and less on top would improve comp IMO. Light is nice and detail and exppsure look great, I like the pose and colors.
Is this a heavy crop?... as for an f4 I would guess that you should have had less DOF.
Congratulations!

Connie Mier
09-20-2009, 08:17 PM
The exposure looks very good, nice details on the bird. But, the comp just isn't doing it for me. Maybe Ramon's suggestion would improve it, but also that weed near the bird is distracting and not sure where it fits in.

Axel Hildebrandt
09-20-2009, 09:28 PM
I like the angle and the pose is quite unusual. I agree on removing the grass on the chest. This bird really needs a bath. :)

Dave Leroy
09-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks for looking and commenting everyone. Interesting about the grass, I have another almost identical shot without the grass. I thought it added something other than a nice clean image, and I agree the bird does need to be cleaned up. Tks Again, Dave

Stu Bowie
09-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Dave, I see your thinking regarding the comp. Lookung up, thus leaving more space on top - works for me. Good exposure, and I like the detail and colours around the head. The grass is a bit distracting though.