PDA

View Full Version : South Georgia, north coast

John Chardine
09-20-2009, 07:35 AM
I posted this image to Travel and Cityscapes but thought there might be some interest here, and some critique would be useful for me!

This is two image pano of the central north coast of this amazing island in the south Atlantic, which very few visit (although this is increasing with cruises). I didn't make the two images with the idea of creating a pano so had to resize one before putting them together in Ps Photomerge. I had to create some sky and sea as a result but the mountains are real!

Nikon D70 (can't remember lens!), 82 mm
capture date: 25 October 2007, 6:16 AM
exposure program: Shutter Priority
ISO: ?
shutter speed: 1/1000
aperture: f8.0
exposure bias: +0.0
metering: Pattern

Ramesh Adkoli
09-20-2009, 08:20 AM
This is a breathtaking view, John. You did a great job in stitching the images. Excellent exposure too: those blues and whites have come off very well. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Dave Leroy
09-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Pretty impressive mountain. After having just travelled through the Canadian Rockies, I guess this would give some idea as to how the glaciers once looked there as well. I like how you have included a thin strip of ocean, and the small iceberg is a nice touch. The land in llc seems a bit "misty" and not sure if this is natural or part of the added features.
The bits of cloud add a lot for me. Very nicely done.
Dave

Roman Kurywczak
09-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Hey John,
You did a very nice job stitching this and the mountains do have nice details in them. My only recommendation is to add just a bit more water to act as a base otherwise the flow of the mountain is nice and you placed the glacier well. Nicely done!

Jackie Schuknecht
09-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Second Roman's comment. But this is just spectacular and so pristine. I imagine that is no slouch of a glacier either. Made it to Ushuaia, but never further south.

Robert Amoruso
09-20-2009, 09:53 PM
John, Excellent on the stitching and exposure - details in the snow is awesome. Next time frame a bit losser and get more of the water in. I am betting you lost some of that in the stitching process.

Jay Gould
09-21-2009, 06:27 AM
Hi John, lovely image; makes me wish I were there tomorrow.

I will be exploring South Georgia 6 - 11 January; I will be looking for your footprints!! :D

John Chardine
09-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Have a great visit Jay. I hope you have calm seas and get your landings.

Gerald_Gilligan
09-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Great detail in the mountains...Well handled all around.
I agree with more water at the base...but would prefer a bit more sky as well!
Jerry

John Chardine
09-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks for all the great comments. Yes I see the need for more water and sea- somewhat analogous to giving a subject like a bird some room in the frame. As suggested, I lost some of both during the stitching process.

Over the years of helping people deal with the many photographic challenges of Antarctica I've noticed first-time visitors will often include much too much water in their landscapes from the ship. When I'm not stitching I think I get this right but to check I will post another landscape in a few days for comment!