PDA

View Full Version : South Georgia

John Chardine
09-19-2009, 06:44 PM
I am privileged to visit the remote island of South Georgia every year. Very few people get there and it is out of this world, literally. I'll be there again in a few weeks. The island is about 2000 km due east of the southern tip of South America and it's where the first shots were fired in the Falklands/Malvinas conflict back in the 1980s.

Here's an image from the north coast.

Dave Mills
09-19-2009, 07:07 PM
John, Beautiful light,subject and exposure.The blowing snow adds alot to the images interest. Your lucky since this is a place few of us will see....

Gus Cobos
09-19-2009, 11:03 PM
This is absolutely beautiful and majestic John...wow, I would like to visit...:cool:

arash_hazeghi
09-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Amazing scenery, how high is the mountain range?

Jackie Schuknecht
09-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Majestic scenery, I think I am out of the loop , are you doing some research here?

John Chardine
09-20-2009, 06:32 AM
Arash- These mountains are probably in the range of 2000m/6500' and above. The highest point on South Georgia is Mount Paget at 2935m/9629'.

Jackie- I've been lucky over the years (since 1992) to have the opportunity to teach ornithology and photography on-board expedition cruise ships in my spare time. Since visiting Antarctica for the first time in 1995 I've only missed a few years. Our first cruise of the year now starts in Buenos Aires and goes to the Falkland Islands/Malvinas, South Georgia and then the Antarctic Peninsula.

John Chardine
09-20-2009, 06:57 AM
I realised I had the next image to the right so here's an attempt at a pano to show more. I'm not the best on mountains and for all I know we could be looking at the highest peak on S. Georgia right here. It's almost sensory overload isn't it?!

When I despair about what we are doing to the planet I sometimes remember that S. Goergia is there, relatively untouched by the hand of people, at least physically. However, we have changed the biology of the area by introducing rats, reindeer (for the Norwegian whalers to hunt), and significantly reducing the whale populations of the seas around the island.

Alfred Forns
09-20-2009, 09:16 AM
One impressive image John !!! ... btw that would be my number one all time destination !!!!

Remember how the war started by taking over the whaling station at the island !!

Harshad Barve
09-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Gorgeous image(s) , would love to visit some time
TFS