PDA

View Full Version : Least Sandpiper

Axel Hildebrandt
09-19-2009, 03:48 PM
I photographed this bird in a flooded field a few days ago. I didn't go for a very low angle to get the reflection since the water was calm.

http://www.pbase.com/axelhi/image/116686723/original.jpg

1D3, 500f4, 1.4x, 1/640s, f/8, ISO 400

Connie Mier
09-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Lighting is fantastic, I like the water reflections on the bird's feathers.

Ramon M. Casares
09-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Light, pose, colors, detail, BG, saturation, comp and sharpness are all very nice. I wish for a lower angle though.
Congratulaitons!

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-19-2009, 06:05 PM
I am unsure whether the lower angle would have given you the ideal reflection and that's what I feel this image is about. Works perfectly IMHO. I think we all get sucked into the low angles and perfect HA and BG many a time yet images created differently are more appealing to me as most of those with the perfect parameters start to look too similar after a while. :) Good work Axel.

Gyorgy Szimuly
09-19-2009, 06:22 PM
I love it. Lower perspective always works better for me but then such a nice reflection is not possible. This is very nice.

Szimi

Manos Papadomanolakis
09-19-2009, 11:20 PM
beautiful reflection,soft light,water color!

Simon Bennett
09-20-2009, 02:00 AM
A fine image indeed I like the pose, reflection and plumage deatil you've captured. Nice light too.

Jim Fenton
09-20-2009, 07:46 AM
Hi Axel...

I like the pose and the reflection.

On both my laptop and desktop the image appears to have a strange thing going on with the colors which shows as too much orange in the plumage (or not enough blacks in the reds perhaps) and too yellowy / orangy overall? I realize that it was a long light situation, but something just doesn't appear right for this type of lighting?

Axel Hildebrandt
09-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Hi Axel...

I like the pose and the reflection.

On both my laptop and desktop the image appears to have a strange thing going on with the colors which shows as too much orange in the plumage (or not enough blacks in the reds perhaps) and too yellowy / orangy overall? I realize that it was a long light situation, but something just doesn't appear right for this type of lighting?

Thanks, Jim! I'm not sure, I will play with the saturation, I wonder if the green vegetation around the bird makes it look different than on the shore.

Stu Bowie
09-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Super comp, and I like the light and colours. An interesting colour of the water, and good to see a clear reflection. Well captured.

Gal Shon
09-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Fantastic light,
I like the FG and BG, superb reflection, Comp an sharpness.
Wish for a lower angle though.

Matt Vosniak
09-20-2009, 08:14 PM
To me Axel I love that you went away from the standard you must get super low rule. Sure that may be optimum in most instances but to get the reflection like you wanted this looks great the way it is.

Axel Hildebrandt
09-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks for comments and suggestions, it's much appreciated!