PDA

View Full Version : Wall Arch RIP

Ed Cordes
09-19-2009, 03:41 PM
I was browsing some of my images made during a Southwest trip in 2007 and came across this one of Wall Arch in Arches NP. As most of you know in 2008 this arch collapsed. I thought I would post my image to remember it by. It was one of the hardest arches to photograph - for me anyway.

1DMK2 with 17-40 @ 17. ISO 200 f 16 1/25. Full frame.

Thanks for looking. C&C welcome.

Dave Leroy
09-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Nicely done Ed. The arch does look very fragile and you have captured it well. The arch is nicely isolated against the sky.
Dave

Roman Kurywczak
09-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Hey Ed,
I like the way the arch forms a v with the rockwall on the left. It was a shame it broke.....but time has a way of doing that to the sandstone. Not sure if you could eliminate the tree on the right entirely but could you get closer to get more sky seperation? That was one of the few accesible ones I never made it to. IAC I might lighten the left framing rock a touch. You handled the light well and it is pretty well composed too as I know some of these are tough to get total seperation.

Robert Amoruso
09-20-2009, 07:30 AM
Ed,

Roman brought up some good points. I never been to this one but I think you did well composing it. I like the look just as if I were standing there looking up at it.

Ed Cordes
09-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the comments. For those of you who know where Wall Arch was you will appreciate this. To get this image I was lying on my back with the camera facing up. There is a very tight path between the arch and the rocks facing the arch. Trying to get the full arch in the frame I had to use 17 mm on a 1.3 crop camera. The large rock in the left of the frame is a pain, but I just don't know how I could have eliminated it and still recorded the left part of the Wall Arch. I agree with Roman RE lightening it a bit. If I framed more to the right the arch would have been too much to the left and a lot of empty space on the right would have been in the frame. Framing lower would have put an ugly ID sign in the image.

Thanks again for looking and commenting.

Morkel Erasmus
09-22-2009, 12:14 PM
pity it broke. I think considering the surroundings on the photo and as described that you did a good job of showing this to someone who never has been there (and now knows he'll never see it). I like the sandstone tones and the clouds too.