PDA

View Full Version : Calendars, Greeting Cards, and Bookmarks

Paul Burgess
09-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Hi all!

I want to start offering calendars, greeting cards, and bookmarks in my photography business, and I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it better to use a template program (like Calendar Creator) or to go through an online service for calendars? For cards and bookmarks?

2. If the latter, what company is best to deal with? (I don't necessarily want to print +100 calendars at first, maybe just a few for starters to see if they sell). What about for cards and bookmarks?

TIA

-Paul

Ed Cordes
09-19-2009, 08:34 AM
Paul, I can only answer you RE cards. I have been buying card stock paper from Red River and print them myself. I supply the note card and envelope packaged in a clear plastic bag for $2.50 US. They sell quite well at art fairs.

I too am interested in responses to your calendar query.

Paul Burgess
09-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks Mr.Cordes! Unfortunately, I'm not set up to do any professional printing of my own — no space! Sounds like the best solution if you can print, though.

Thanks again,
-Paul

Mark Fuge
09-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Hello Paul,

I use to do my own, when I had a darkroom. Now however, I buy cards (with envelops provided) from Photographer's Edge out of Colorado Springs, Colorado. I have been using them for over 10 years and find their service exceptional.

The cards assemble by folding the sections and secure with double sided tape, which is pre-attached at time of manufacturing. It is very easy, fast and professional looking. There are many styles to choose from for any occasions or blank stock, which is what I use. Their website (Photographersedge.com) has inventory images from their catalog. They also have calendars and bookmark items, both of which I have not tried yet.

Good Luck!

Paul Burgess
09-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the link! Do you find the cards to be have enough quality for commercial uses?

-Paul

Mark Fuge
09-19-2009, 04:17 PM
I know a lot of people use them for gift shop type marketing. Quality depends on your market, but yes, I would say it can serve your purpose well. Buy a small sampling or call them for a sample (not sure if they do as I have never called, but they are very considerate and helpful and may send you one for your viewing.)

Good Luck

LouBuonomo
09-20-2009, 10:25 AM
There are a lot of places that use digital presses now for cards etc.. MPIXpro, WHCC, Digi-Labs.net and a host of others. They are set up for small scale runs and the quality is quiet good, not as good as offset but very good. They tend to be HP Indigo or Kodak NexPress. Tend to be a little expensive due to the small runs.

If you want larger runs you can find folks on the web that do that.

Lou

Mike Milicia
09-25-2009, 02:51 AM
For smaller quantities, you may be better off doing your own printing.
I produce my calendars in a format that I can easily print myself as each month is displayed individually as a print, typically in a box frame for the 11x14 calendar and in a bent acrylic frame for the 5x7 size.
You can see the 2010 versions by using these links :

11x14 Avian Calendar (http://www.michaelmiliciaphotography.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=15)

5x7 Avian Calendar (http://www.michaelmiliciaphotography.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=16)

I also print my own note cards using Red River Polar Matte prescored paper.

Linda Dulak
09-25-2009, 07:24 AM
While I wasn't directly involved in producing the calendar, the dog rescue group I work with recently produced a calendar using photos of the rescued dogs. This was done by a printing shop near the woman who produced the calendar. There was a set up fee of, I think, $95. Once it was set up, we could order a run of as many as we wanted and as few as 10 at a time. The cost was $7.18 per calendar. We sell them for $12 each. This is a calendar with a photo on the top (8 1/2 X 11 size) with the boxed calendar dates below with area for notes, etc. Typical theme calendar that is popular for hanging on the wall. It's not an art calendar like the one described by Mike.

I don't think you could do better than that with any online printing. I'd suggest checking out a local printer although they may not all be that accommodating of small orders. I know the one in our town wasn't when we approached about printing note cards.

Linda

Paul Burgess
09-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks all!

Mr. Milicia, I think that would probably be the best solution, but I don't own a printer that can do any good photo work. Very nice calendars by the way!

Mz.Dulak, Thanks for the tip! I'll ask my local print shop about calendar printing. If able, I think that would be a great set-up.

-Paul

john crookes
09-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Paul

If you are a member of Costco they produce calendars and are very reasonable in price plus there is no set up cost involved Go to Costco Photo Center

and check them out

Here is a link to their site

http://www.costco.com/PhotoCenter/PhotoCenter.aspx