PDA

View Full Version : Bald Eagle Photography

Joe Campanellie
09-18-2009, 08:29 PM
A friend of mine called today and wanted to know where the best place was to go in Alaska to photograph bald eagles. The only place that I have been has been Homer. Now with that location pretty much gone with the feeding bands imposed I told him I would try and find some info for him.

With Homer out of the picture I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions. Either in Alaska or anywhere else for that matter.

I suggested the Haines eagle festival but have not been there personally.

Thanks...

John Chardine
09-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Hi Joe- I go down to the Eagle Watch in Sheffield Mills, Nova Scotia in late-January. It's pretty darn good. Look here:

http://www.eaglens.ca/

Ray Rozema
09-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Lower Klamath Basin Willife Refuge is good. I think the best time is Feb-March Couple hundred eagles winter there. Apparently the wildlife refuge sets up a blind that you can sign up for. Of note the eagles feed on waterfowl not fish, per the ranger.

Joe Campanellie
09-23-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks...I will pass that info on to my friend.

pfginsr
10-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Hi Joe,

I went to the Haines Bald Eagle Festival last year and it was awesome.

The conditions in Haines can be difficult. Plan for snow even in November.

A camera that can handle noise well is needed as ISO 800 can be the minimum for the conditions and action. The lighting at Haines is also difficult as the sun (when it is out) can be directly facing you.

The people of Haines are just about the friendliest folks you could every have the chance to meet. Although people come from all over the world to attend the festival, many locals and people from other parts of Alaska attend. Take part in all the event has to offer.

This year Ron Horn a Haines local will be doing the photography seminars...he is a great guy and a great photographer who knows the area well. The visit to the Kroschel wildlife center should not be missed also!

My only suggestion if attending the festival is if you can afford it to rent a car to give you a little more opportunity to venture out with your own transportation rather than relying on the buses the event provides.