PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly

Paul Lagasi
09-18-2009, 08:28 PM
I was out fishing the other day, when we took a break for lunch...my friend and I hunted around shore for things to photograph...I have no idea what type of dragonfly this is but they're fairly common around here.

The grain curvature in the wood accented this photo, so I left it in
Thanks for looking

D300
Nikon 70-200 2.8
shutter priority
f7.1
1/320
iso - 400
handheld

Desmond Chan
09-19-2009, 04:07 AM
A very interesting background and I like it. Having said that, I do wish the curvature went all the way to the upper right hand corner, too. You have a bright background with a darker subject. I personally would make the dragonfly look sharper to make it even more visible.

denise ippolito
09-19-2009, 06:46 AM
Paul, I like the curvature at the top too and would leave it in as it creates interest. I'd give your DF another round of sharpening. Very nicely done!

Julie Kenward
09-19-2009, 07:16 AM
Very nice curve in the wood - and, as Desmond noticed, it's too bad it doesn't extend all the way across to the URC. Perhaps a 'higher above the DF' angle would have removed the darker OOF area in that corner? Still, an interesting image...

Paul Lagasi
09-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Thanks All...wished I'd had my macro lens, I would have been able to get closer, change the angle..I was limited as to distance from subject...I will try and repost image...I ran sharpening on dragonfly twice...original is sharp...but when converted to BPN size it softens it up...

Ed Cordes
09-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Interesting perspective. As others have said the curve of the wood is great. The DF looks a bit soft. I wonder if you used shadows/highlight to darken the wood a bit if it would help the DF or hurt?

Mike Moats
09-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Hey Paul, very cool background adding to a always cool main subject. My wish would be more depth of field to bring in the focus on all that cool textures in the top of the image.

Steve Maxson
09-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Lots of good comments above, Paul. I thought I would just add that this dragonfly appears to be a male Autumn Meadowhawk (formerly called a Yellow-legged Meadowhawk) (Sympetrum vicinum).

Paul Lagasi
09-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks All...and thanks for ID Steve