PDA

View Full Version : Kirk Window Mount

Nathan Lovas
02-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Anyone out there who uses/used the Kirk window mount? I would llike to be able to mount either my 600 mm or 200-400 vr on it while I drive around looking for wildlife/birds. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..Nate:p

Alfred Forns
02-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi Nathan Have tried a couple of different models Found they are not as convenient as a been bag

The bag will allow you quick set up so you don't have the lens sticking out all the time It is stable You can sue on other surfaces other than the window Can use on the ground etc Easy to travel with

Lots on the market The best IMO is the one sold by Artie He actually developed the beenbag for over a year It is a thing of beauty !!!

Doug West
02-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Anyone out there who uses/used the Kirk window mount? I would llike to be able to mount either my 600 mm or 200-400 vr on it while I drive around looking for wildlife/birds. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..Nate:p

I use to have one a very long time ago. For me, it was a pain in the rump.
Just putting that thing on my window caused my blood pressure to rise.
If you have a non-suv and thinking about using a 600 on it? Forget about it,
unless you can slide over to the passenger side, cause thats how far your
rig will be sticking in.

Ever since I went with the BLUBB (Big Lens Ultimate Bean Bag) from Artie's store,
I've never been happier. The thing contours to the window, I can cruise with it hanging
on the window (tied down) and if I see a bird, I just stop, grab my camera and lens,
place it on the BLUBB and shoot.

Plus, since its a bean bag, its mobile too. I can grab it off my window, place it on the
hood of my car and shoot if I have to.

When I'm shooting low, I use the BLUBB all the time.

Its kind of like having multiple tools in one product.

Doug

Robert Amoruso
02-11-2008, 12:42 AM
I have the Kirk Window Tripod and like it. I shoot it from either a Honda Element or a Ford Freestar from the drivers seat. I also have the BLUBB and like it alot. If I am driving around and putting the lens in and out. the BLUBB works better. If I am shooting from the same/close by location or a static (think perched) bird, having it on the pod is better as I don't have to hold it - locked down in ballhead or Wimberley. I am using a Canon 600mm with it.

Robert Hardy
02-15-2008, 05:12 PM
water pipe insulation works very well on a window it has a slit and just fits over the edge of the glass :)
Rob.

George DeCamp
02-15-2008, 05:28 PM
I use a couple bean bags. However I heard these work great as well;

http://www.poolandspa.com/catalog/Product844662.cfm

They sell them much cheaper in the local swimming pool places or even sporting good shops in the summer, you only need one not a case of 12 (:p). You slice a section out all along the tube so it fits snug over your car window, then just place your lens on top and bingo! Good to have handy if you fall in the water too! :D