From our trip to Svalbard.

http://www.seehase-beykirch.homepage.t-online.de/Nelson_Island.jpg

Canon EOS 5D, 4.0/24-105L IS at 105mm, ISO200, f6.3, !/100sec

All comments are welcome

Bernd

Robert Amoruso
09-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Bernd,

I like the colors reflected in the FG and the BG fog bank is a nice addition. The island provides a good focal point but my placing it in the center of the image, it creates a rather static feel to the photograph. I would suggest that moving it either left of right in the frame would produce a stronger composition.

This is the type of image that could do well with a Rule of Thirds placement of the island.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave Mills
09-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Beautiful lighting with wonderful clouds and golden pools. Agree with Robert on the placement of the rock. I would move the rock to the right...

beykirch
09-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi Robert and Dave,

I forgot to mention that there are bigger islands, which did not look so nice, on the left and on the right. Unfortunately, moving Nelson Island to the left or the right was not an option without cloning the others.

:-)

Regards

Bernd

Roman Kurywczak
09-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi Bernd,
Thanks for the explanation. I have another possible solution to the ROT issue....You can crop up the right side at the Y in your signature and then a sliver off the bottom and the whier area up top.....just to keep close to the 2/3 ratio.....this will effectively put the island on the ROT vert line and yet keep most of the nice layering. Nicely handled on the exposure too.

Ed Cordes
09-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Nice colors and tranquil mood. I agree with Roman's suggestion RE crop.

Robert Amoruso
09-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Hi Robert and Dave,

I forgot to mention that there are bigger islands, which did not look so nice, on the left and on the right. Unfortunately, moving Nelson Island to the left or the right was not an option without cloning the others.

:-)

Regards

Bernd

Thanks for the explanation. Our goal as critiquers is to give yo ideas and we do realize that moving in the field is not always possible. :)

Did you consider a vertical composition here. That could be ROT, not include the other islands and still include the depth that the FG to BG layering captures in the image. On looking at this again, I feel that was the way to go here.

Ramesh Adkoli
09-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Bernd, I liked the light colors, subtle change of tone and the layers that lead the viewer's eye through image. I agree with Robert's suggestion that a vertical comp would have suited best in this case. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Dave Mills
09-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi Bernd, I like both Robert's and Roman's ideas and think they are both worth exploring...