PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Plover

Bill Dix
09-18-2009, 01:57 PM
D90 w/ 80-400 VR @ 400mm
ISO 400, 1/2000s. @f/5.6; 0EV
HH, Matrix metering, Ap, AF-A

Sharing Sunset Beach with the Godwits last week was a small flock of these sweet little Plovers. Mostly they foraged up and down the beach just above high tide line, but occasionally one would stop for a rest. This was taken about an hour or so after sunrise despite what the shadow seems to suggest.

C&C appreciated.

Bill

Harold Davis
09-18-2009, 02:08 PM
good looking bird! might sharpen the eye a little and crop a slither off the left and a little off the top. love the contact with the bird and the whites look good with some nice detail. well done. keeper in my book!!!!

Gail Spitler
09-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Bill - very nice image, agree that a bit could be cropped off the top.

Cheers
Gail

Gus Cobos
09-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Hi Bill,
A nice capture indeed...agree with Doctor Davis on the cropping factor and the selective sharpening of the eye...you have a good head angle and good eye contact, the color rendition is good...congrats...keep them coming...:cool:

Alfred Forns
09-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Harold nailed it !!! Just the what he is suggesting !! Remember you want to keep the bird out of the middle of the frame, need more space in the direction he is looking !!! Soft light, great eye contact and a good feel !!!

Lance Peters
09-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Here is my two cents worth ....
Agree with MR H - In addition I thought the bird could use a little additional sharpening. Tried to lighten the eye a tad (not a lot there to work with)

Well done - sweet light - low angle - Good HA - Lots to like here :)

Bill Dix
09-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Thank you all. The crop and sharpening did wonders. Watching these sweet little birds run up and down the beach, it's hard to believe they are endangered.

Ben Egbert
09-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Nice shot. I think I would go with a tighter crop. I am also wishing that the background was not such a good match to the bird colors.

Edit: I like to reply without the influence of others (sort of a test for me). But I do like the croped version better.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
09-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Neat bird, nice light and good pose, looks like he is tugging comfortably in the sand. Love your low angle too. Agree about more sharpen and tighter crop. The repost make this image even better.

Jeff Cashdollar
09-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Exposure techs are solid, agree on composition and sharpening advise. Nice shot, lower angle would have made it stronger - well done and thanks for caring about the species.

Bill, this is good work!

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Everyone already covered the basics with you, so all i have to say is nice bird and great job. TFS:)