PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue Heron

Scott Moore
02-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Here is a picture from this morning in Everglades National Park</ST1:p. I’m new to wildlife photography so please feel free to leave C&C. That is the only way that I’ll improve.

Thanks for looking, Scott
<O:p
400mm, 1.4TC
ISO 1250
f/4.0
+1.0 EV (Should have been at +1/3. Had to correct the exposure)
1/640
No flash

Alfred Forns
02-10-2008, 08:39 PM
H Scott one at a time !!! Why don't you save the bottom for tomorrow Will delete and you can upload again

For the heron I would try cropping a little different Positioning the eye in one of the intersecting thirds works very well Could crop some from the back and add a little canvas to get the eye on the proper position

Image is very clean sharp well exposed and excellent head angle !!!

Scott Moore
02-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Alfred.

didn't realize there was a limit of one image post per 24 hours until I got your message and subsequently read the posting guidelines.:o

Thanks for the comments. I completely missed that when I cropped the image. I've made the adjustment and it looks much better.

Scott

Alfred Forns
02-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Hi Scott Was that from Anhinga Trail ? Was going there but went to Shark Valley ..... wrong choice !!! Will be over next weekend we have a three day workshop !!!

.....post the other tomorrow !!!

Scott Moore
02-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Yep Anhinga Trail. You must have taken a big group because there weren't too many of us at Anhinga Trail. Hope you have good weather for your workshop and everyone gets lots of great pics. After seeing Fabiola and you in action a week ago I'm sure that it will be a great success. I hope to attend one of them in the not too distant future.

Scott

Robert Amoruso
02-10-2008, 11:13 PM
Scott,

I like the soft light on the GBH. The white on the head and face blows out easily because the bird is mostly gray, many people expose them for middle gray and the whites burn out. Soft light works well with them.

The head angle is good, the eye is a bit turned down. Robert O'Toole teaches a PS fix for that in his PS workshops. If you go to Artie's newsletter archive, the fix may be discussed there. Search for eye fix.

Scott Moore
02-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Robert,

Thanks for the feedback and recommendation. I searched and the answer is in The Digital Basics File. I'll order a copy and apply what I learn to the image. I've only posted a couple of images, but so far the response has been excellent. I'm sure that this forum will help shorten my learning curve.

Scott