PDA

View Full Version : Fire!

Michael Lloyd
09-17-2009, 04:04 PM
In my back yard. I had no idea where this would fit in. If not here then please move it.

They finally lifted the burn ban here. We've been under a terrible drought (though not as bad as other parts of the state). I've been collecting pecan tree sheds for 3 years. I usually burn them in the winter but burn bans have been the norm so they have accumulated. I have a lot of big pecan trees in my yard so the wood pile was about 10' high and 10' in radius. It was initially a very hot fire. I tried a number of different shutter speeds / f stops. This one is at the high end

EOS1DsMKIII manual (no flash :p )
70 - 200 f2.8L IS hand held @ 195mm (strange number but that's what it says)

ISO 200
1/160th @f8

I played with it some in ACR but not much

WB: As shot
White point: 0.00 (exposure)
Black point: 7
Brightness: +46

Defaults for this camera:
Clarity: +25
Vibrance: +15
Saturation: +10
Camera Profile: Camera Neutral Beta 2

Gus Cobos
09-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Very intense Michael...love it...:D:cool:

Michael Lloyd
09-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks Gus. Fire flows in such interesting patterns.

Alfred Forns
09-17-2009, 09:01 PM
I like it Michael

Great idea for changing the shutter speed Love the patterns Might try desaturating the yellow just a bit and might have gone for a higher ISO then increasing dof !! Really good and different !!!

Michael Lloyd
09-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks Alfred. I've got a few shots with a 180mm macro lens mounted on a tripod in the .6s range. I really liked those but that was as close as I could or wanted to get :)

I agree with desaturating the yellows. There is something about the way I am post processing that is really boosting saturation in the JPG as compared to the TIF. I though that it might be a color profile issue but that's not it...

Mark Fuge
09-18-2009, 07:32 AM
Nice image and application.

Might make an interesting abstract, with some PS filters, as if this weren't abstract now! ;)

Stephen Stephen
09-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Great iamge Mike. You've really captured the intensity of the flames. Even though it appears that the flames are stopped I can "hear" their roar.

Michael Lloyd
09-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks everyone. I can't help but wonder what shutter speed would stop the motion of the flames. I'm not sure when I'll get another chance to find out.