PDA

View Full Version : Common Moorhen

Ian Mason
09-17-2009, 03:15 PM
1D2n, 600mm f4 is x1.4tc, 1/800s, f6.3, iso200, circular polariser.

I have always found these to be very difficult to photograph and I was delighted when this one posed this evening for a short time. I was experimenting with the polariser to see the effect on colours and it does seem to have a positive effect. This is the last of the pond series for a while as I'm off on holiday without a camera http://www.naturephotographers.net/imagecritique/smileys/icon_frown.gif Many thanks for all the comments on the others in the series!

Doug Brown
09-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Wonderful series Ian! Tremendous sense of tranquility here. I might crop a bit off the left. Did you do any blurring or other processing to the BG?

Harold Davis
09-17-2009, 03:30 PM
i just sat here and stared at this one. the light is unbelievable. being from the side set the mood perfectly and the flat calm water is perfection. wouldnt touch it if it was mine. and do wish it was!!!

Ian Mason
09-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Wonderful series Ian! Tremendous sense of tranquility here. I might crop a bit off the left. Did you do any blurring or other processing to the BG?

Thanks Doug. Only noise reduction in PS to the background. The effect is produced by flat water and lens at water level.

denise ippolito
09-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Ian, This has an old masters painterly look to it. Very nice series indeed! I have enjoyed them all. Hope you get back from Holiday soon and post more of this style. Colors are fantastic.

Jim Buescher
09-17-2009, 04:21 PM
Fantastic series Ian, I'm having a hard time choosing my favorite but this one is near the top.... Hey, maybe you could rent out your dam spot to some of us while you are gone and help pay for your holiday:)

Lorant Voros
09-17-2009, 04:59 PM
This is a beauty for the eyes with the lovely colors. I can only join the others; fantastic series. Big congratulations.

Fabs Forns
09-17-2009, 05:33 PM
I can tell your pictures from the thumbnail :)

The fore and background are of an exquisite color. the subject is beautifully lit and it is an impressive image, congratulations.

Aidan Briggs
09-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Lovely sidelight, and an excellent mood presented here Ian. If you go with Doug's crop suggestion, I would also crop a bit from the bottom to keep the same 3:2 frame ratio.

Connie Mier
09-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Another excellent addition to the series, this one is particularly lovely.

Phil Ertel
09-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi Ian, I have really enjoyed your series of images from your pond. This one is also very pleasing. The light, and colors are great. Have fun on your holiday.

Bryan Hix
09-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Lovely as always. That pond is quite a treasure. Great series, enjoy some relaxation.

James Salywoda
09-17-2009, 09:08 PM
So beautiful Ian your extreme low angle shots are very appealing . Excellent Work!

paul leverington
09-19-2009, 08:09 AM
Exquisite Ian!! Everything rocks in this one and the overall feel is definitely artistic. The ONLY thing I would do, if it were mine, is some minor crop tweaking. My thoughts are--you obviously wanted to center the bird---so center the bird! He's off just a tad and that really unbalalnces and weakens the power of that position. I'd put the beak right in the middle spot with a little crop off the right. The ripple extends out and TOUCHES the frame on both sides. EXCELLENT. This anchors the lone isolated single subject and gives the whole compositon stability. The Separation between the water and grasses "horizon", if you will, would be better placed if it were not dead center. Move it down a bit by cropping off the bottom a tad. My thoughts anyhow--- and very minor ones at that! Are you using a floating blind?

Paul

Ian Mason
09-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Are you using a floating blind?

Paul

No, there is an small waterfall at the pond outlet. I sit below that with the lens at water level. Many thanks for your useful cropping suggestions - I agree!

Ramon M. Casares
09-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Fro the thumbail I didn't imagine I would love this one so much.. but I do.. loved it, great mood, comp, low agle, light, all is A+ to me... Congratulations!