PDA

View Full Version : From the Archive - The Wave

Michael Pancier
09-17-2009, 08:49 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3443/3928744670_683cf20e4c_o.jpg

going through my archives, I found this shot that I had forgotten about. Shot at the Wave of course around 10:30am local time. Not the best time in winter as this part of the wave was still partially in shadow, but I kind of liked it.

5d + 17-40L + B&W polarizer
1/15
f/22
ISO 200

Robert Amoruso
09-17-2009, 09:23 AM
I know I commented on either an image of yours from this location Michael or perhaps it was someone else's, in any event the same comment as before.

I would have changed my elevation to eliminate the view if the distance mountain in the "V" of the wave. Clear blue sky in the "V" would have looked better.

I like the dark blue of the sky and the wave's lines lead the eye into the image and provide depth.

Michael Pancier
09-17-2009, 09:52 AM
I know I commented on either an image of yours from this location Michael or perhaps it was someone else's, in any event the same comment as before.

I would have changed my elevation to eliminate the view if the distance mountain in the "V" of the wave. Clear blue sky in the "V" would have looked better.

I like the dark blue of the sky and the wave's lines lead the eye into the image and provide depth.

I had a similar shot but in afternoon light.

Now I have to get a permit to go back ....:D

I'm wondering how to get that angle you mention. my pod was at eye level, and the higher vantage point leads you to the right of this part of the wave if I can recall.

Dave Mills
09-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Michael, I would imagine you would have to lower your elevation a bit to do what Robert suggests. However the image is strong as shown but if you shoot it again I might try and get more of the left side(keeping the rt the same) so it's a little less even This is a comp one could definately play with and get variations...

Roman Kurywczak
09-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey Michael,
As Dave suggested a slight lowering of the tripod would have eliminated the mountains....but still nicely done!

Rich Ikerd
09-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Elevation comment aside (sometimes you just can't get into the right positions), this is a great example of the wave landscape. You've got the striations in the rock, the sweeping wave forms and just the right amount of the deep blue sky. Really nice Michael.

Robert Amoruso
09-18-2009, 08:46 AM
I had a similar shot but in afternoon light.

Now I have to get a permit to go back ....:D

I'm wondering how to get that angle you mention. my pod was at eye level, and the higher vantage point leads you to the right of this part of the wave if I can recall.

Michael,

Squatting down would have been all that was needed.

A permit.... boy. I have never been here. Is this Indian land or public land?

Dave Mills
09-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Robert, It's public land but protected. I was there twice and one needs a permit to get in. Unless they changed the policies they only allow a certain amount of people per day to hike out there.(about 3 miles each way)You could get a permit through the internet(which are gobbled up quickly) or go to the rangers office a day before where they would have a drawing based on the amount of people that showed up that day. Last time I was there was 3-4 years ago so I'm not sure if they made any changes.

Stephen Stephen
09-18-2009, 12:09 PM
I love the textured rocks in contrast to the beautiful blue sky. I'd also vote for clean V as previously mentioned by others.

Roger Clark
09-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Michael,

I have never been to the wave. What direction were you imaging?

Roger

arash_hazeghi
09-26-2009, 06:22 PM
This one is really cool. Love it.

Van Hilliard
10-12-2009, 08:14 AM
While I agree with the above comments regarding angle of view and exploring a variety of viewpoints. Still, I think this is a beautiful photo, well worth publishing as is. The color contrast between the terrain, the water and the sky is outstanding.
Van