PDA

View Full Version : Victoria Harbour land reclamation site

Andy Wai
09-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Reclaiming land from Victoria Harbour:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2509/3928848984_1070d1bb71_o.jpg

The Hong Kong downtown core is in the background. The site is literally sitting on to of the old harbour crossing ferry terminal. The new terminal is behind us, built on reclaimed land of course :).

Andy

Alfred Forns
09-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Amazing projects I've seen the one for the airport in a TV special !!

Rich Ikerd
09-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Guess with the crushing crowds in Hong Kong, they have to build the land for everyone to survive (or at least make room for more people!). Amazing engineering feats.

Gus Cobos
09-17-2009, 05:26 PM
A massive project indeed Andy, this must be prime real estate...:cool:

Andy Wai
09-18-2009, 08:13 AM
[...] this must be prime real estate...:cool:
Oh yes, expanding the downtown core. Doesn't get better than this... ;)

Speaking of extraordinary measures to accommodate the people, there are foot bridges all around the hotel where I stayed. The area is mixed commercial/residential, as in huge blocks of residential high rise with shops on the ground floor and streets with tons of cars all around. In the evening when everybody's out there doing their thing, it's total chaos both in the car lanes and on the pedestrian sidewalks. So to ease the pedestrian side, they've built this huge network of foot bridges that are directly along the center divide of the motors roads and elevated above street level. The bridges are quite a bit wider than the sidewalks below and avoid all the street crossings so they're much easier to navigate, epically during rush hours. The network covers the whole area so you only need to drop to street level when you're almost where you want to go.

I have some shots of these bridges during the day (didn't have a chance during rush hours unfortunately). I'll dig one up and post later. Stay tuned... :)

Andy