PDA

View Full Version : Least Sandpiper

Axel Hildebrandt
09-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Photographed at Sandy Hook in the morning a few days ago. The DOF is quite shallow since this little guy was very close. In the BG is a wavelet.

http://www.pbase.com/axelhi/image/117180225/original.jpg

1D3, 500f4, 1.4x, 1/1600s, f/8, ISO 400

Hendri Venter
09-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Beautifull image Axel. I specificly like the low angle and the OOF water in front and behind the bird creates a nice path for the bird.

Ilija Dukovski
09-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Good one, the HA and eye contact are great, plumage is excellent,
there's one primary sticking out (or is it overgrown cover???)
and it actually makes the image more interesting.
Like the water, don't mind the sharp OOF border from the wavelet in front.
I like the top BG part, adds to the comp since it goes well with the bird color.
Don't you love shorebirds....

Daniel Cadieux
09-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Good low angle and walking stride. Techs perfect as expected from you :-) I don't mind shallow DOF when the eye/face is sharp. For me the displaced feather is a bit of a distraction that sees my eye going to it more than it should.

Stu Bowie
09-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Soft light and colours, and good to see the slightly raised foot showing movement. I like the DOF effect around the legs. Another well captured image from you.

Brian Sartor
09-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Very nice! I also enjoy the light,soft background color and low perspective. I think the feather adds a bit more character to the image.

Dave Brown
09-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi Axel,

Just regarding the identification. This appears to be a bright, jevenile Semipalamated Sandpiper. If you want to post this image in the id forum I can go into more detail later when I have some more time. Lovely BKGR,and nice details in the face.

Dave Brown

Jim Fenton
09-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Great angle and I agree with DB.....this looks like a juvy Semipalamted Sandpiper to me.

The OOF rear end detracts a bit to my eyes...the out of place feather doesn't detract on it's own as I like a little something being out of place :)

The only thing I might so differently is to lighten the bill just a bit as it's hard to make out the detail on 2 different laptops I'm using...but then again, it could be the computers I'm working on currently.

Axel Hildebrandt
09-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the comments and ID suggestions, it's much appreciated. I just posted the image in the ID forum, too.

Aidan Briggs
09-17-2009, 07:43 PM
I love the low angle, great light, and dynamic pose. I didn't notice the out of place primary until it was mentioned, but now it bugs me. Is it just me or does the image need a tad of CW rotation?

Well Done!

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-19-2009, 03:43 AM
Excellent image Axel. I love the pose of that leg. Is a wavelet a small wave? Sorry, have a laugh at my English if you like. :D

Axel Hildebrandt
09-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Excellent image Axel. I love the pose of that leg. Is a wavelet a small wave? Sorry, have a laugh at my English if you like. :D

Thanks, Ákos! Yes, a wavelet is a small wave or ripple.

Ramon M. Casares
09-19-2009, 12:34 PM
I like it, love the walking pose, light, BG, low angle and detail. COngratulaitons!