PDA

View Full Version : Gannets & Sun sparkle

Ian McHenry
09-17-2009, 06:27 AM
In this part of New Zealand the Australasian Gannet is not often seen, so any chance of an image is taken by me.
Unfortunately in the early morning light this can mean some images against the light.
Would appreciate any suggestions on editing image.
With thanks: Ian Mc

Art Peslak
09-17-2009, 06:39 AM
A nice silhouette in tough lighting conditions. I would crop off a good part of the bottom into a pano. The bright reflections are quite a distraction from the birds.

Randy Stout
09-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Ian:

Be sure to post your camera/lens data.

The chromatic aberration is quite pronounced here, and would be worth correcting in post if you can.

I agree with Art about the brightness of reflections, and might try to tone them done a bit.

I wish the lower bird wasn't right at the horizon line.

I agree with Art about a crop from the bottom. I would go up just above the bottom row of bright reflections.

Tough light, you have to do your best. I would have tried it too!

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
09-17-2009, 08:06 AM
I like the mood and setting and agree regarding a pano crop. In your RAW software you could try to remove the chromatic aberrations and tone down the whites.

Ian McHenry
09-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks Art, Randy & Axel
Well I tried panos but not comfortable with composition balance of the image.
Here instead is a B & W Version.
Cheers: Ian Mc:)

paul leverington
09-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Very tough exposure conditions. Agree with the others for the most part. The blown out highight areas are just too large for this shot to succeed IMHO. The idea is wonderful and believe me I love shots with an enviroment--and big waves are one of the best. What lens did you use to be getting all that aberration?

Paul

Ian McHenry
09-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi Paul
Image taken with Pentax K10D and Tamron 70-300 plus Tamron 1.4 tele-converter.
Quite a substantial crop from the original.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Ian McHenry
09-19-2009, 12:58 AM
Bit more info on this image.
Taken in DNG RAW strongly against the light.
This was the only image I got with 2 Bif !!
Several other pix where light was OK.
Details already re camera & Lenses.
400 ISO 1/4000 @ F5.6 Minus 0.5 EV.
Multi segment metered.
Here is re-sized original.
Cheers: Ian Mc

paul leverington
09-19-2009, 08:23 AM
A quality fixed foocal length would have eliminated the problems is my guess. In the beginnnig for me I tried tamron and sigmas. After many dissapointing expireneces with those brands I gave up and only buy the canon pro stuff. But it costs a person thats for sure. This shot would look good during a suset too. Don't know if that is possible but a thought. I could spend weeks at the shores shooting this kind of subject!

On a different note--I just watched that movie "the world's fastest Indian" the other night about burt munroe--really put New Zealand on the map for me. Do you have a portfolio of shots taken of your homeland that could be looked at online by any chance?

Paul

Ian McHenry
09-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Hi Paul
Thanks for your comments & thoughts.I too greatly enjoyed that movie.
I still consider myself an ex-pat Scot although I've been in NZ for 47 years !!!
When in UK went to the Isle of Man TT Races a couple of times and loved it also good for panning experience.
I have 2 main galleries a bit of a dump one in Flickr and more selected images in P'base @ http://www.pbase.com/ianmc Will make up another gallery of NZ scenery as recently had a trip up north in August and still editing images.
Cheers: Ian Mc http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianrmc/