PDA

View Full Version : The spider and the fly continued

Vida van der Walt
09-17-2009, 01:31 AM
I always find it fascinating how these little crab spiders can overpower such large prey.
Canon 5D Mark11
MP E 65mm; MT 24EX
apert f14; ss1/160; iso 200
crop, shrpn, nr, levels, removal of some flash generated highlights. I could have evened out the colours of the bg but I find the contrast between the light and dark more dramatic.:)

Julie Kenward
09-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Well that is just amazing! I don't think I've ever seen that image at that angle. Wow! I also agree with your choice to leave the BG darker in some areas - I think in this case it does add to the drama.

Only thing that I think could have been even better - and this is really minor - would be if that front spider leg was a bit more in focus...but wow...the image is really incredible as is. I've never felt so sorry for a fly before!

Vida van der Walt
09-18-2009, 12:54 AM
Hi Julie. Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you like it. The f14 was a mistake as I accidentally turned the dial and only realized when I viewed the image on my computer. I mostly stick to f16 which is the limit of my lens.:)

Alfred Forns
09-18-2009, 06:25 PM
I have no clue how you came up with this image !!! Working distance for this lens is really close !!!

Would only try multiplying layers on the spider for more detail in the light areas Sweet image !!!

Steve Maxson
09-18-2009, 08:19 PM
This is an excellent behavioral image, Vida, and you did well on the artistic side also! Those spiders must have some very fast-acting venom. Alfred makes a good point regarding the light areas. Well done!

Vida van der Walt
09-19-2009, 01:29 AM
Thank you for the comments Alfred and Steve. Much appreciated.:) Alfred, when I found her, she was sitting higher up on this stem and more hidden amongst the foliage. My lens must have bothered her as she started moving around and ended up on the tip of the stem, giving me a clear shot. I did however take quite a number of unsuccessful shots as she kept on changing her grip on the fly and I was fortunate that she eventually had the fly in a position that allowed me to get both her face and the fly within my dof. The working distance is small but not really a problem with almost stationary subjects like these. It starts getting more tricky when I chase dragonflies and lately also in flight shots. I am fairly determined when I want a shot and have spent many hours and even weeks (in flight shots) to get it. I will try and recover more detail in the whites as suggested. Steve, according to our SA spider expert, these crab spiders do not overpower their prey with venom and only use their strength to catch the prey.:)

Mike Moats
09-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey Vida, a very capture of reality, not always pretty. Excellent details.

Vida van der Walt
09-21-2009, 04:02 AM
Thank you for your feedback Mike.:)

Jerry van Dijk
09-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Wonderful and very special behavioral image and very well executed! Wonderful detail and soft BG. They are a bad lot, those spiders.

Jerry.

Vida van der Walt
09-22-2009, 02:41 AM
Thank you very much Jerry. Nature can be cruel but also so fascinating.:)

Morkel Erasmus
09-22-2009, 04:21 PM
you come here on BPN and deliver the goods again Vida! welcome and thanks for sharing this gruesome shot - it's pin sharp and typical of your high quality work...

Vida van der Walt
09-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Thank you for the welcome and great feedback Morkel!:)

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-27-2010, 03:43 AM
Vida, awesome work yet again! I can understand how shallow the DOF was to not have the extending leg sharp. Don't think f/16 would have even helped. WOW!

Vida van der Walt
01-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Thank you for looking and for the great feedback Akos.:)

Myer Bornstein
01-27-2010, 09:24 AM
Vida Again your images are fantastic :)

Vida van der Walt
01-29-2010, 02:07 AM
Thank you Myer. Much appreciated.:)