PDA

View Full Version : Stitched Panorama of Interest...

Arthur Morris
02-10-2008, 05:33 PM
With landscape images, creating a stitched panorama would not raise a single eyebrow, but with birds and wildlife that would not be the case, especially when the image was not pre-planned... This is the first older image that I have posted here as there are two interesting stories that go with it.

I was teaching an IPT at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm on May 15, 2006. Jack Panzeca a good friend and multiple IPT veteran was right on my shoulder with another two folks packed in tightly around us. I was teaching the flash as main light technique. It was pre-dawn with white skies. We had a nest just above our position with two active chicks. Just after we had fine-tuned the exposure (while working in Manual flash mode) this chick raised up and yawned. And missed. I cut about 1/8 inch off the tip of the upper mandible. But boy, what a spectacular frame. While editing I noticed that the next frame had the top of the bill and the head in it with the bird in roughly the same position but without the huge gaping mouth and throat. At the time I did not know a Quick Mask from Zorro's mask and by sheer luck--after expanding the canvas, I hit the exact perfect spot with the Clone stamp. I could not do that again in a million tries. (Today, using Robert O'Toole's QM techniques (as described in APTATS), creating the stitched panorama would have been a snap. IAC, I loved the resulting image.

The other day I received an e-mail from the folks at NWF asking about the image which they wanted to use as a full page in one of their children's publications. I told them that the image was a combination of two images. Next day I got a call from the Photo Editor who was not exactly thrilled to learn that the image was a composite. She suggested that we should have indicated that in either the EXIF data or the image caption as we always do with images of captive animals (though I do that only very rarely). I agreed. I explained that there was nothing in the final image that was not there at the moment I pressed the shutter button. The next day I got a call and learned that after much discussion in a staff meeting that they had decided to use it labeled as a digital composite. Ranger Rick was actually the very first publication to let their readers know (via a letter code) if an image was of a captive animal or if it was created in controlled conditions. I applauded that when it happened and applaud it now.

The image was created with the Canon 500mm f/4 L IS lens with the 2X II TC and the EOS-1Ds MII. ISO 400. 1/250 sec. at f/25 in Manual mode with the flash at 1:2 in Manual flash mode (with a Better Beamer). Can anyone explain how the white sky was rendered blue in the original?

Don't be shy; all comments welcome. Later and love, artie

Taylor Yeager
02-10-2008, 05:41 PM
That is one scary looking muppet. I had a similar experience with a hawk. I clipped the wing tips, but in the next frame they were there. These digital tools are great!

~Taylor

Brian Wong
02-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi Artie!

Very unusual expression! I'll take a stab at the question ... your flash properly exposed the subject bird ... which is closer than the far away white sky. The ambient light to the sky, in comparison to the flashed subject became underexposed in the original image.

If I get two guesses ... someone who does not mind (not you!!) creating composites could make two processed RAW images ... say one with a background using a different white balance (more blue), and then combining the two.

Love your image!

edward saltau
02-10-2008, 06:32 PM
i've been staring at this shot for a while and i can't make out any evidence to suggest that this is 2 images. Amazing that you did this with cloning...
Amazing shot.I suppose we're not really meant assign human expressions or feelings to animals but if you asked me, I'd say this bird looks pretty happy! Thanks for sharing artie. One of those shots that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside!
As I say this, i think I may have spotted the transition from image to image. Change in the tone of the sky on the right about level with th eye. anyone else?

Nonda Surratt
02-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Edward I see it now that you mention it, the tone change. Prior to that was to busy looking and laughing, what a grand, fun image!

Axel Hildebrandt
02-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Great hairdo and dentist's perspective. :) I'm quite interested how the color of the sky changed. Can't have been easy because of the white plumage, unless I'm missing something, which is not unlikely. :)

Fabs Forns
02-10-2008, 06:57 PM
I remember this one!!! Great expression and disclosing makes it perfectly ethical in my point of view.

The sky in underexposed heavily and the bird is lit by the flash as main is my guess...

Jeff Nadler
02-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi Artie,

Excellent combined image of the subject. On the right side though, I can see an abrupt transition of sky tones . . a horizontal line just above the eyes at right.

On the sky, I would think the exposure theories mentioned would render a white sky as gray, not blue. So I do not have a clue.

Arthur Morris
02-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Yes, with flash as main light the sky was about ten stops under... Since it was a clear pre-dawn, it came out blue not grey. I see the change in tones of the sky but the stuff I added was well above that... Not sure where it came from. Worst of all is the fact that I unwittingly got rid of the 2nd image... And the bird was happy. One of the adults had just landed above the nest with a bellyful of fish bits to regurgitate.

later and love to all, and thanks for your comments, artie

Alfred Forns
02-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Remember the image well !!!! One of my favorites Particularly like the planing !!!! Big Congrats Artie !!!

George DeCamp
02-10-2008, 09:52 PM
For some reason I just thought of my Mother in Law.:p

This is really cool is all I can say! Very well done!

john crookes
02-10-2008, 10:04 PM
I think the edge we see in the top right is also elsewhere in the image just not as prominent

when i desat and darken the background you can see some funny things happening any ideas

Tim Rucci
02-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Love that image, Artie! You accomplished amazing clarity and depth of field at f25.

Thanks for the story that went with it...

Jose Suro
02-10-2008, 10:18 PM
A true classic no matter how you got there Artie. Creative being the operative word in this business. Excellent portrait

Best,

Jose

Gayle Clement
02-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Thanks for sharing the background on this one, Artie. It's a fascinating image.

Patrick Jeudy
02-11-2008, 02:06 AM
that was a real cool capture !!

Manos Papadomanolakis
02-11-2008, 03:42 AM
Very unusual expression!
Big congrats!!!

John Cooper
02-11-2008, 04:30 AM
Loads of impact Art and an interesting back-ground story - I have A friend who is an ENT surgeon and would like to have this hanging in his surgery!!

Krijn Trimbos
02-11-2008, 08:41 AM
OMG!!!!! This looks like 'the predator' having had the worst night of sleep ever!! :D

A very cool shot! Well done!

Raymond Barlow
02-11-2008, 10:49 PM
quite amazing Artie, thanks for all the details.

Thonnaksar NOP
02-12-2008, 05:07 AM
Simply AWESOME !!!:eek:
Has he just swallowed an emu's egg ?:D