PDA

View Full Version : Textures #1 - Leaf

Ed Vatza
09-16-2009, 07:51 PM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0909_SauconCreekCinderBanksFallWild.jpg

OK, I'm really not sure about this one.

I found a plant that we have always called euphemistically "Fuzzy Bunny Ears". The shape and texture of the leaf looks almost the same as Common Mullein but this particular plant grows very low to the ground. I clipped a leaf, mounted it in my McClamp with the sun directly behind it so the backlight would come through the very thick leaf. And I made a few images with my 30D and Sigma 150mm macro lens. I tried a couple images without any additional flash from the front as well as a few with some flash. This particular image is with flash.

Anyway after returning home and doing some basic processing, I concluded that I didn't like the result because it looked too flat to me. So I took the image into Topaz Adjust, selected the "Spicify" preset and did some fine tuning from there. This is what I came up with. It can look like leaf texture and detail. It can look like a roadmap. It can look like an alien landscape.

I happen to like it. I showed it to a few others and they either loved it or hated it. There was no middle ground. Your thoughts?

1/10 sec @ f/22; ISO 640; +1 EV; Sunny WB; FEC -1

Dave Mills
09-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Hi Ed, I happen to like it. Using the filters really popped the detail which gives the image so much interest. I also like that you placed it on a diagonal.Lighting is even with good color. I might take a bit off the bottom.

Julie Kenward
09-17-2009, 07:19 AM
I totally agree with Dave. Love how it almost looks 3D - if you stare at it long enough you'd swear something moved! I also would clip a bit off the bottom but love the rest.

Desmond Chan
09-19-2009, 04:00 AM
Like it, too. Would like to see it sharper though.

Mike Moats
09-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Hey Ed, excellent textures and color. Good diagonal line on the main vein. Some photogs would say not to start your line out of the corner, but rather offset from the corner, but I don't always believe in this rule, so this looks fine as is.

Jerry van Dijk
09-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Hi Ed, wonderful image. It does have a nice sense of depth the way you present it here. I like all the different shades of green. Lack of middle ground between like or hate usually indicate that you have a special image! Nice experiment.

Jerry.

Ramon M. Casares
09-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Very nice, I like the light and detail as well as colors and comp.
Congratulations!