PDA

View Full Version : My first critique post...

Stephane Neron
09-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Good day everyone ;-)
Today is a new beginning, as I post my first critique picture on BPN...

So this shot was taken while strolling in Jardin Botanique in Montreal. The bird was not shy and so I was about 10 feet from it. I took the lens off the tripod and sat down crossed legged while bracing both elbows on my legs to get a low angle.

Specs are: Iso 200, 500mm, f6.7, 1/200 sec, no flash.
Gear: Pentax K-7 with Sigma 50-500.
Post processing in Lightroom 2.0 include boosting the exposure a little bit and using the following presets: Sharpening Landscape, Punch and Tone Curve strong contrast. I don't have a lot of experience in post processing, so I end-up using the presets quite a bit.

Thanks!

Stephane

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2569/3924563087_da7e5fe0ee_o.jpg

Lance Peters
09-16-2009, 12:50 AM
Hi - A big warm welcome to the BPN Family - We use proper names on the forum - so I am guessing you will get a message from AL to change yuor name - no biggie - I did the same thing when I first joined :) K7 Cool.
I am not familiar with this guy - obviously a gull of some type - Are the wings really taht shade of blue???

Looks like you had mixed light here - usually best to try and get the sun lined up behind you sothat your subject is evenly lit - that said I quite like the effect here - You have a good HA and nice eye contact and the composition works for me.
Perphaps a little dark, a little lighter and a tad more contrast. Do check out the eductaional resources forum as there is a wealth of info in there.

Looking forward to seeing more:)

Kerry Perkins
09-16-2009, 12:52 AM
Hello Stephane and welcome to the wonderful world of BPN! Great to have you here and hope to see many more.

This is a very nice gull portrait and I like the composition. Nice first post!

A couple of challenges you had here were caused by the mixed light, with both highlight and shadow coming into play. The blue shadow is a little distracting from the white feathers and you got a bit of glow around the bird, probably from the "strong curve" tone preset. Would suggest doing a little dodge and burn around the head area to smooth out the luminance and a tad more sharpening for the eye. The tiniest little head turn toward the camera would have been a bonus! All told a very nice image!

One note on protocol, it is requested that your user name be your real name. Al Forns can help you straighten that out. Looking forward to more!

Edit - didn't mean to reapeat Lance's post! We crossed in the ether!

Stephane Neron
09-16-2009, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback ;-) I've been trying to change my user name, but I can't find that option. I might have to open a new account, unless an admin can do it. I'll try to contact one.

One the picture: I realize the mixed lighting, which I was not aware when I took the shot. The bird was actually under a tree and the sun was already pretty high (around 10h30 am). I'll try to work the picture alittle bit more and get back...

As for the bird, I'd guess a young Herring Gull, but I'm a not sure...

Gus Cobos
09-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Hi Stephane,
A big warm welcome to our BPN family...I like the composition, image and capture...agree on a tad more contrast, and keeping the sun behind you for proper light exposure...this is a sweet image...looking forward to many more...:cool:

Alfred Forns
09-16-2009, 09:56 AM
... just send me an pm and will get it changed !!!

Big Warm Welcome !!!!

Agree with suggestions and can add I would try increasing the shutter speed, lots of focal length for the 1/200 ... I'm sure you were concerned with noise but best to worry about sharpness first !!!

I like how you got low for a better angle and lined up a good pleasing bg !! The bird is in mixed light so it will always be problematic, best to look for a bird all in sun/shade. Looking forward to the next !!!!

Ben Egbert
09-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Good head angle, nice eye sharpness, great background. Overall a very nice job. I am not sure about the blue/grey cast on the foreground feathers. It may be natural, so I have to ask. Great first post.

Indranil Sircar
09-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Hi Stephane, great first post! I like this composition very much. In addition to what has been already said, I would echo Al's point on the shutter speed especially with this lens. Typically the thumb rule I use is shutter speed higher than the focal length for all hald held images. I also bump up the ISO to 400 or 800 depending on the light and take care of the noise in PP.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Welcome!! First i would like to say, nice HA, and sharp eye, like the comp and BG, the only thing that is bothering me is the head the the rest of the feathers seem not as sharp. TFS and keep them coming:)

Stephane Neron
09-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Thank you so much everyone for such feedback... it is greatly appreciated! And makes it feel at home too.... I will work on those things and get back soon... I'll try to work on PP at the same time as well... I think the blue cast on the feathers is the shade cast by the tree just above. The head might have been in a lighter spot.

Cheers!

Stephane

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
09-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Welcome to BPN!!!

Echo all the comments above. Really love the clear marble like eye here.
Don't be afraid to bumb up the iso, as I learn that from this site, it really help.

Desmond Chan
09-17-2009, 01:35 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Ha, I didn't even know there was blue seagull :o Guess I have to spend more time in Montreal one day.

Looking forward to more from you !!

John Chardine
09-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Hi Stephane- It's a winter plumaged Ring-billed Gull, endemic to North America and common in your area. I like the blue effect- very exotic, and just caused by shadows. The BG is very nice too. There's a little bit of motion blur in the head, which is hard to fix in post processing. Well done!

Oscar Zangroniz
09-18-2009, 07:03 AM
Another big welcome. Great first post. All techs have been covered. Great BG.
Congrats