PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Jewel

Don Lacy
09-15-2009, 11:21 PM
I found this Wandering Glider in my backyard the other day and could not believe my luck to find one on a clean perch with a nice BG and in my backyard :D While Wandering Gliders are pretty common they spend most of the day flying around and you rarely find one perched. Wandering Gliders are the only DF found around the world and are able to transverse oceans flying day and night nonstop one very cool DF. This so far is my favorite image of the year the last time I found one perched was about two years ago.

40d, 300 f/4 + 25mm Ext Tube, 1/40 at f/11, Aperture Priority, Evaluative Metered, ISO 400, Raw, Tripod.

Julie Kenward
09-16-2009, 07:27 AM
You aren't kidding - how lucky was this?! It's absolutely stunning, Don. I might have turned the camera a bit and put him more on a diagonal through the frame but I have to admit this is a nice change of pace having him hang perfectly vertical. I can't get over how sharp and clean this image is. Big congrats!

Vida van der Walt
09-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Wonderful image Don. Sharp with great detail and lovely colours, bg. Thx for the interesting info.:)

Christopher Miller
09-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Love the image, Don! Great colors, details, and pose. I might just take off a tiny bit on the bottom. Well done, and very interesting info.

Steve Maxson
09-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Hi Don. Excellent sharpness, pose, comp, and background. I also like the biological info - as usual. :) Having never seen one of these - I wonder if some of the very bright areas could (or should?) be toned down a little? Well done.

Ed Vatza
09-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Looks like he is hanging on for dear life! :)

Beautiful image. The details are fabulous and I love the way the background complements the color of the d-fly. Dof seems just about perfect. Excellent job!