PDA

View Full Version : Lightening underwings with Nik filter

Fabs Forns
09-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Lightening underwings has become easier for me with Nik Color Efex Complete's Reflector's Effect.

I had used for flowers, and was very happy, until tonight, when I decided to try it on a bird. I was blown away by the results. Here's an example, soft gold used. You can play with a few slider until you like the results.

The plugin can be downloaded for a free 15 days trial.

Axel Hildebrandt
09-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Looks pretty cool, does it work better than Viveza in cases like this?

Fabs Forns
09-15-2009, 10:25 PM
If you don't want it to affect the sky, select it, invert the selection, float the bird into another layer and apply the filter.
I didn't do it for this image, just pointing out a solution for the sky.

Arthur Morris
09-16-2009, 05:57 AM
Pretty impressive. Fabs, you missed Axel's question above.

Michael Pancier
09-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Interesting find Fabs. I've been using Viveza to do this, both lighten the underside and darken sky when needed. Have not thought of using the reflector which I've used mainly on portraits and macros, but will try it to compare the result. But if using the reflector, you don't have to create a layer, simply add a point on the area you do not want effected, and set opacity to 0. I believe that should work the same.

Robert Amoruso
09-16-2009, 08:59 AM
That's pretty cool. I just gave it a try and works well. Thanks for the new technique Fabs.

Nancy A Elwood
09-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Fabs this is way cool!!! I guess I will have to make the plunge and get this one of Nik's. I have all their others.

Fabs Forns
09-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Looks pretty cool, does it work better than Viveza in cases like this?

I think it does, the reflector has three colors, I used Light Gold here.

denise ippolito
09-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Great tip Fabs! Thanks for sharing!!

Jackie Schuknecht
09-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Looks neat Fabs. Must have a look. Thanks.

Mike Tracy
09-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Looks promising, thanks for the tip and I will try it when I can find some time.

Do you see the potential to salvage some images that otherwise don't lend them selves to using S/H because of the manifestation of noise ? There are always trade offs, what have you found to be its weak points ?

Fabs Forns
09-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Looks promising, thanks for the tip and I will try it when I can find some time.

Do you see the potential to salvage some images that otherwise don't lend them selves to using S/H because of the manifestation of noise ? There are always trade offs, what have you found to be its weak points ?

Mike, I didn't notice noise after using the filter, as opposed to S/H. Maybe the weak points would be on some flight poses where it's hard to get the reflector on both underwings? So far I'm very pleased with it.

Harold Davis
09-17-2009, 03:18 PM
cool trick!! definitely one for the arsenal!!!!

Roger Clark
09-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Here is an alternative method that boosts the shadows and does not affect the sky (or high end). I simply used the curves tool, and pinned the top half of the transfer curve to stay the same, and increased the low end of the curve. You can tune the hump in the low end to give the effect you want. Without any selection, you maintain smooth transitions with no halos due to feathered edges. Note the tail feathers still have the same color. In Fabs' edited image first version, the tail feathers have turned orange.

Roger

Fabs Forns
09-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Roger,
Fortunately, in software there are a lot of "alternatives". Mine was just one more. Thanks!!!

Ah, Spoonbill's in breeding colors have an orange tail ;)

Michael Pancier
09-18-2009, 04:46 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3490/3930630705_5087d8c55f.jpg

Fabs, I tried your technique here and I found that it worked better than using Viveza. As stated, I used the points on the sky at 0 opacity so the sky was not affected, and used the gold filter and it did the trick more subtle than viveza points. I did have to use viveza on the bill though....

Fabs Forns
09-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Excellent example, Mike. Note that the subject is a juvenile specimen, light pink all over, including tail, and black wingtips.
Thanks for sharing it!

Roman Kurywczak
09-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Hey Fabs,
I'm definitely trying this! Thanks for the tip.