PDA

View Full Version : True friends

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-15-2009, 07:20 PM
A friend of mine was badly burnt by someone she considered a true friend, so I wrote this for her. I told her animals make far better friends than people do - generally speaking.

Sorry for being away for ages; however, it's spring in the south now and I have only little time to dedicate to being on the net as there are way too many animal rescues and also lots of photography opportunities now. In case anyone cares to know or wonders why I've been away. :) I'll try to be online as much as I possibly can. :(

Dedicated for my childhood friend Liz.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CDonata%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmso html1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> True friends of mine are only few
If the rest of the world only knew
How they stick right on by my side
Through good and bad; through day and night
<o></o>
Some they just seem to disappear
Like sun sets at the end of days
They proclaim their friendship for me
Their fake demeanour shows and stays
<o></o>
I’ve never had so many “friends”
To offer me their remedies
With friends like these here by my side
I really need no enemies
<o></o>
Some just use you to their will
Benefiting all that they do
To satisfy their craving needs
And that they’ll gain with all their deeds
<o></o>
Stabbed in the heart, stabbed in the back
What some friends can do really hurts
Time to go cold, block the voices
Created by their empty words
<o></o>
Words were never so meaningless
Now that I have looked back in time
Switching off the best thing for me
Once more, happiness can be mine
<o></o>
Throughout my life more friends will come
Fake or real is all that depends
The crux of it is all simple
One hand will count my true friends

Marina Scarr
09-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Hi Akos: This poem reminds me of words spoken to me by my dad. I sat on his lap at 12 crying b/c my best friend had hurt me. He explained that "just b/c we offer one kind of friendship to a friend, does not mean that we can expect the same friendship in return. Remember that you are lucky if you can count your real friends on one hand." So your poem hit a nerve with me. You are a very talented and sensitive man, Akos.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi Akos: This poem reminds me of words spoken to me by my dad. I sat on his lap at 12 crying b/c my best friend had hurt me. He explained that "just b/c we offer one kind of friendship to a friend, does not mean that we can expect the same friendship in return. Remember that you are lucky if you can count your real friends on one hand." So your poem hit a nerve with me. You are a very talented and sensitive man, Akos.

That is too kind Marina. Thank you. Yes, I can also relate in a way and your father was only too wise. We all learn the same thing as we grow and boy, have I had some good lessons along the way! I am sure if I lost one of my hands, the other would still be more than enough to count my true friends too! :)

Julie Kenward
09-16-2009, 03:01 PM
That was beautiful, Akos.

Dave Mills
09-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Hi Akos, Lotsa truth there. One only learns through experience which hopefully makes one a better judge of character. One must experience life and take chances in order to find these things out.

denise ippolito
09-17-2009, 07:38 AM
I think we all have tons of acquaintances, loads of friends and a handful of good friends. And if we're lucky our partner is our best friend.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Thank you for looking Julie, Dave and Denise.

Lance Warley
09-20-2009, 11:18 AM
I couldn't agree more. It hurts but it's true - "real" true friends are far too scarce.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks for popping in Lance. :) You got that right.

Kerry Perkins
09-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Ákos, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I consider you a cyber friend and hope you feel the same. You are missed here but we all know how life gives and takes in different ways. Have always appreciated your images, words, and presence. Bless you for your work with the creatures who can't fend for themselves.

James Shadle
09-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Well said. It is sad but true and it ain't just you..
I'll be looking for the follow up poem about your handful of true friends.