PDA

View Full Version : Intimate Waterfall

Rich Ikerd
09-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Intimate Waterfall, Florence, Oregon
D2X, 24-70mm @ 42mm, f/16 @ 1.5 sec, iso 100

Another small waterfall along one of the many creeks we hiked along the Oregon Coast (can't remember the name of this creek though).

Robert Amoruso
09-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Rich,

I good looking falls and the shutter speed was a good choice. I like the very small falls to the upper left of the larger one. You have some strong diagonals in the image too but I find them leading my eye around the image in odd ways and out of the frame.

I do find the area surrounding the falls too dark and the large black section upper left draws the eye in. The diagonal pine on the upper right is also a distraction. Shadows/Highlights can open up the shadows and I would suggest desaturating greens and yellows.

I find the two falls the most interesting part of the image and concentrating on an in-camera crop of them would have been my preferred composition in this scene.

Roman Kurywczak
09-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Hey Rich,
I like strong contrast but do agree with Robert that it should be opened up a bit in the shadows. I love Velvia greens....but I also agree on a slight pull back there too. I am not a huge fan of the diagonal tree trunk on the UR corner but it doesn't appear there was any way to eliminate it. I still think this was handled well....just a few tweaks will pick it up a notch.

Rich Ikerd
09-19-2009, 11:36 AM
Did some re-processing to incorporate the suggestions above, including a re-crop to get rid of the diagonal tree trunk (totally overlooked that in the original). I think it looks better - so thanks for the ideas. Always learning to look at things differently here - that's what I really like about this site. Thanks again.

Gail Cordes
09-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Personally, I like the environmental effect of the image, showing the surroundings of the falls. I agree that it is better with the upper right trunk removed.