PDA

View Full Version : Flowers for the Wife

Ed Vatza
02-10-2008, 04:06 PM
It's been a lousy weekend and I haven't been able to get out and shoot at all. So this morning while at the grocery store I decided to be a good husband and buy my wife some flowers. ;):D

So anyway once I got them home I figured what the heck, I might as well photograph them while I had the chance. :)

All images made with my Rebel XT and Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro with the Canon 430 EX Flash and Sto-Fen Diffuser tripod-mounted.

1/20 sec at f/8; ISO 400; EC=0; FEC -1

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0802__042.jpg

Robert O'Toole
02-10-2008, 08:42 PM
It's been a lousy weekend and I haven't been able to get out and shoot at all. So this morning while at the grocery store I decided to be a good husband and buy my wife some flowers. ;):D

So anyway once I got them home I figured what the heck, I might as well photograph them while I had the chance. :)

So you have done that too? I choose flowers for my GF based on the imaging potential.

Nice crisp image, water droplets and all. Good exposure.

Image looks a little blue, you could pull out a couple points of blue in curves or use a photo filter. Also I would have liked to see the entire petals at the top edge.

Thanks for sharing.

Robert

Robert Amoruso
02-11-2008, 12:02 AM
I like the creative composition. The top petals touching the edge should have more room.

Kaushik Balakumar
02-11-2008, 05:07 AM
wow, liked the composition.
tad over-exposed i feel. the background seems to have noise - pixelation. may be some amount of blurring wud help...

rgds,
Kaushik

Ed Vatza
02-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the feedback. It is much appreciated and I will keep these points in mind next time around. I am new to close-up/macro photography so all tips are helpful. Also I have to admit that sometimes I get a bit carried away in post-processing particularly when working with color which I tend to do more with flowers. I will try to be more careful.

Again thanks.

Mike Moats
02-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Hey Ed, Very nice comp, and good details. The water drops always add a nice touch. If you get a chance to shoot this again try shooting with a much tighter crop, so only the center and the petals are seen. Well done.

Ed Vatza
02-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Hey Ed, Very nice comp, and good details. The water drops always add a nice touch. If you get a chance to shoot this again try shooting with a much tighter crop, so only the center and the petals are seen. Well done.

You mean like this? :)

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0802__045.jpg

Mike Moats
02-12-2008, 06:32 AM
Hey Ed, yes this has more impact and it shows off more of the fine details in the flowers center and the water drops. I posted another crop that has works well with this shot. I would also go through and clone out all the little white specs, it will be a pain and time consuming but worth it.