PDA

View Full Version : Tri-colored Heron with reflection

chris mayne
09-14-2009, 04:56 PM
This was captured a while back at the San Diego River channel. Normally not a huge fan of head splashes, but the water splash and its reflection had a nice shape to it that caught my eye. Thank you for any comments and critiques, they help.

MKIIN
500 4L
1/1250 f/7.1
ISO 400

www.chrismayne.net (http://www.chrismayne.net)

Aidan Briggs
09-14-2009, 05:32 PM
I like the idea, and the excellent, splash and reflection. However the whites are blown on the side. I would suggest re-converting and trying to save them.

Ian Mason
09-14-2009, 05:34 PM
A beautifully crisp image with great reflection. If you can save the whites, it's a winner. I might take a little off the top.

chris mayne
09-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Oddly not showing blown in ACR on my screen. No change to exposure in PS so did'nt even check the Jpeg. I'll look agin. Thanks

WIlliam Maroldo
09-14-2009, 06:53 PM
I like the idea, the reflection is excellent, and you did well technically, (the whites may very well be blown, but I don't think it is insurmountable), but my main problem is one of timing; the total head submersion leaves a bit too much to the viewers imagination, especially if they are not too familiar with the species. To me at least, I generally want to catch the head just as it hits the water, so at least part of the head, and eyes, are still visible, as well as a nice splash. By the way I am a big fan of head splashes, and that instant when the bird gets the fish. regards~Bill

Daniel Cadieux
09-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Chris, although the whites are just barely clipped along the edges in PS but they are still too bright. The whites on the reflection look good, but on the actual bird they are hot and detailess. Pretty cool splash!! I can see why you like this one. I agree with a crop from above (to the same distance as below).

Ramon M. Casares
09-14-2009, 08:31 PM
The slash couldn't be any better IMO :)
Congratulaitons, great timinf, light, detail, colors, BG and natrual instant. I agree about the whites looking a tad hot.

Dave Barnes
09-15-2009, 03:12 AM
The image quality here is superb and the image alluring. I agree with William that a person would like to see some of the head, but you will not achieve the same tension / effect and I think it is just this that gives the image its appeal. (I am sure that many will not agree with me though)

arash_hazeghi
09-15-2009, 05:17 AM
Great timing, sharpness and reflections are amazing!

Michael Zajac
09-15-2009, 06:48 AM
Nice artistic look to this. The whites look hot-I would take a small crop off the top. Beautiful.