PDA

View Full Version : 2 International Finance Centre

Andy Wai
09-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Been busy moving to a new house this summer. Just started processing photos from my China trip beginning of the year again. This is Tower 2 of International Finance Centre in Hong Kong:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/3895639391_511c2b2a09_o.jpg

It's 1362 feet tall--tallest building in Hong Kong (for now at least :)) and 8th tallest building in the world. It's built on land reclaimed from the Hong Kong Victoria harbor. And there's still massive reclamation projects going on nearby. One of these days, there will be not much water left. Probably a narrow channel between the Kowloon peninsular and the Hong Kong Island and that's it...

Andy

Gus Cobos
09-14-2009, 10:39 AM
I like the perspective Andy...impressive...I wonder how much for a unit there...:cool:

Alfred Forns
09-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Impressive building Andy ... with all the water reclamation they can cut down on bridges !!!

Andy Wai
09-15-2009, 07:28 PM
... with all the water reclamation they can cut down on bridges !!!
Just the reverse... Right now there are underwater tunnels but the two sides are still too far apart for bridges. But if they're ever crazy enough to fill out most of the channel, if might well be possible to build foot bridges and have people walk across. That would cut down on the harbor crossing ferries :)

In any case, I have shots of the reclamation sites. One of them I particularly like but it doesn't seem to work in color. And I still haven't come up with a B&W conversion that feels really right yet. Stay tuned...

Andy

Rich Ikerd
09-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Impressive perspective Andy. I visited HK back in the mid-80s and while there were some tall buildings then, this one (and I'm sure a lot of others) put the ones I saw to shame.

Andy Wai
09-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Impressive perspective Andy. I visited HK back in the mid-80s and while there were some tall buildings then, this one (and I'm sure a lot of others) put the ones I saw to shame.
Thanks :). My father moved the family from Hong Kong to Canada in the beginning of the 80s. At the time, Jardin House was the tallest building in Hong Kong. The official IFC webpage has a page (http://www.ifc.com.hk/english/view.aspx) with 3 Quicktime VR files done at the top of the building. Click on "View to Central & Wanchai". The tiny building closeby that has rows and rows of round windows, that's Jardin House. Crazy eh? :D

Andy