PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Junco

BillTyler
09-14-2009, 09:36 AM
I scattered bird seed on my deck railing yesterday. This fellow seemed to like it.

Bill

Canon 50D
EF 100-400 lens at 400mm
1/320
f/6.3
ISO 800

Gail Spitler
09-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Bill - Really nice composition, love the bird's position, good sharpness in the feather detail. The bottom of the crop almost cuts off the bird's feet and thus feels a bit tight.

I don't know if there is a color cast problem or not; it's been awhile since I looked at California juncos. Up here Oregon juncos have light pink beaks and legs, and the breast and belly are warmer in color than your bird. You might try adjusting the white balance.

Cheers
gail

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
09-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Love the feathers details around the breast, the open beak and the pose. Agree about being too tight on the bottom. Maybe sharpen a little more around the head and some CW rotation.

Don't know about the color cast since I never see this bird before.

Jackie Schuknecht
09-14-2009, 01:23 PM
I like this shot Bill. I can see some muted pink in the breast. Agree just a little tight in the bottom, and a hair of CW rotation.

BillTyler
09-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the comments. I was trying to avoid showing much of the railing on the bottom, but perhaps it would have been better than cutting it where I did.

I'm now thinkng of mounting a dead branch near there for the bird to perch on, to get a more natural look than the deck rail. With a branch that has a crack running lengthwise, seeds could be put into the crack, and then the crack turned slightly away from camera position.

Bill

Lance Peters
09-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi Bill - techs covered above - shutter speed is a tad on the slow side - usually you want 1 over the focal length as your minimum, so here 1/400th -just a guide though.
Like the HA and the open beak.
Keep them coming :)

BillTyler
09-14-2009, 04:22 PM
- shutter speed is a tad on the slow side - usually you want 1 over the focal length as your minimum,

Thanks for the comments. About the shutter speed rule: my impression is that the 1/focal length applies mainly to hand-held shots. I was using a tripod, though I didn't mention that in the original post, and the lens has IS, both of which should allow significantly slower shutter speeds, or am I missing something?

Bill

Alfred Forns
09-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi Bill

If the lens is on a tripod you can lower the shutter speed and with the IS even more, for hand holding will go with Lances suggestion if possible.

Agree with comments and the idea of setting up a perch would be great, sometimes can make cavities on the back of the branch for placing seeds !!!

Jeff Cashdollar
09-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Bill,

Nice shoot, head looks a tad soft and throat has detail, was sensor on eye?

Here is my 2 cents on the 100-400 lens, shoot wide open when you can. Fast shutter, usually wins. I like the ISO 800 to raise the speed. I agree, 320 is close to 400, the point is 320 is not that fast anyway HH or on a tripod, are you shooting Al-Servo. Pictures are getting better and better. You have read APB right, shoot wide open when you can and when it makes sense.

Gus Cobos
09-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Hi Bill,
I like the capture, agree with the techs. and good advise given...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Kyle Marie Barcelos
09-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Everyone already gave some good advice, THS and keep them coming, good idea about putting up a perch:)