PDA

View Full Version : Banff NP

Chad Griggs
09-14-2009, 12:25 AM
This is from the Lake Louise Area. This is my favorite from the trip in late July and the first I've posted online.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3439/3918015425_eb9a2159f7_o.jpg

D90, Tokina 11-16 2.8 @ f22, 1/8 sec, ISO 160

Jackie Schuknecht
09-14-2009, 01:47 PM
I like your comp and placement of the elements in the frame very much. FG rock leads you into the frame and through tje stream than up to the sky. May be my monitor, but the one cloud looks overexposed, I might try to tone that down.

Robert Amoruso
09-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Chad,

I like you chose a low perspective and used the large rock inthe FG to add interest there, and it is an interesting looking rock.

In PS, I used Filter > Distort > Lens Correction and Vertical Perspective to correct the leaning of the trees. I had to crop left and right but that got rid of the tops of trees poking into the frame and causing a distraction. Probably could use a little more correction for the tree tilt.

David Thomasson
09-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Pleasing composition and beautiful colors. I'm on the fence about straightening the perspective, but lean toward leaving it as shot. But I would
probably darken the blue of the sky (selective color) and brighten the foreground details a bit (curves, S/H). Nice job!

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5828/banffu.jpg

Dave Mills
09-14-2009, 08:38 PM
I like Robert's post which IMO improves the image. Some of the leaning trees might have been due to a wide angle distortion. With that adjustment I feel the sky could be cropped somewhat...

Roman Kurywczak
09-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Hi Chad,
Even though am OK with lens distortion....Robert really showed how to get rid of the lean and thus improve it. I think you composed this nicely with the water and I would only boost the contrast of the mountains a touch. All in all nicely composed and exposed.

kevinmat
09-14-2009, 10:43 PM
I like Roberts rendition, though prefer the sky in David's, all a matter of personal choice. You actually did a good job with exposure here. I like the strength of the rock in the foreground which anchors the image in the foreground. Roman's comment on a contrast boost to the mountains is echoed. All in all great stuff!

Bill Jobes
09-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Beautiful image, Chad.

While I find your post outstanding, I concur with the suggestions to crop some clouds and add contrast to mountains. This would enhance the impact of an already very strong original.

Rich Ikerd
09-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Really nice image Chad. I think Roberts perspective correction (trees always look funny when they are leaning in toward something) and the color adjustments from David would give you a super image. Nicely captured.

Chad Griggs
09-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. There are a couple of spots on the clouds that are beyond saving. The clouds that are low to the mountains and trees I can't save w/o cloning. Thanks for the advice on the perspective, thats not something I really noticed before. That said, I kind of like the perspective, although the straightening of the trees looks good too. I will also work on the mountains. I will post an updated pick when I come up with something I like.