PDA

View Full Version : Tufted Titmouse

Bryan Hix
09-13-2009, 04:12 PM
I have been trying to get a halfway decent shot of one of these guys. I liked this, however I am wondering if the right side BG change in color is too distracting.

Canon 1D Mk3
500mm f/4 with 1.4x TC
Better beamer, -2 2/3
Eval meter, -1
ISO 1000, f/5.6 1/200th
Gitzo tripod
PSE7, sharpen, NR on BG, crop

Axel Hildebrandt
09-13-2009, 04:46 PM
I like the curious look, head angle and light. The BG doesn't bother me but the bird has a slight green cast and I find the perch a bit dominant. If this is near a feeder, you could try to find a smaller branch.

Arthur Morris
09-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Who shot the bird in the head with a 44 magnum????

Aidan Briggs
09-13-2009, 06:00 PM
Nice light, BG, and exposure. Agree w. Axel on the perch, those slash marks on it are a bit distracting, and it's too big. Thin branches from native plants usually work well as perches for small songbirds.

Ed Cordes
09-13-2009, 07:19 PM
I like the uplifted crest. The perch is a bit large.

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Ditto about the big perch. Very nice curious look and BG. Thanks for sharing.

Bryan Hix
09-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Who shot the bird in the head with a 44 magnum????

Not sure what to make of that comment. I realize he's not a perfect example.

Stu Bowie
09-14-2009, 12:05 AM
I like the inquisitive pose, good light, and agree the perch could be thinner.

arash_hazeghi
09-14-2009, 02:42 AM
Thanks for posting this, I like the composition and BG. The green gradation is not a problem at all. I also see a subtle green cast. Do you know what has caused the scar/defect in birds forehead right above the beak?

Bryan Hix
09-14-2009, 06:56 AM
Thanks for posting this, I like the composition and BG. The green gradation is not a problem at all. I also see a subtle green cast. Do you know what has caused the scar/defect in birds forehead right above the beak?

I don't know what the deal is with his head, there were 3 of them flying around and all of them were pretty beat up. I just assumed they were probably still molting. There also are a lot of pine trees, so maybe it's sap or something.

The green cast I believe is caused by the fact that the dead tree is surrounding by a lot of green ferns and this branch is only about 4 feet about them. I didn't have a choice on the size of the branch, I guess he just liked it? :D Good input from everyone though and I will remember to consider that next time.

Aidan Briggs
09-14-2009, 07:45 PM
I think that the condition of the plumage is just from molting. I have seen similar, and much worse cases with the Oak Titmice, and Chestnut-Backed Chickadees around here.