PDA

View Full Version : An Orchid From Spring

Ed Cordes
09-13-2009, 03:08 PM
I made this orchid image from one of my wife's plants last Spring. Finally got around to processing it.

1DMK2 with 100 f2.8 macro. Evaluative metering at ISO 500 with 1/4 sec f20. Tripod (of course) mirror lock up and remote release. Slight fill flash. I cropped tightly in PP to give a very close effect but still try to maintain the overall character of the bloom.

Thanks for looking C&C welcome

Julie Kenward
09-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Nicely done, Ed! Beautiful BG and nice opposing colors to the orchid itself. You've got a very definitive angle on the flower and it really helped to bring all the little pieces of the orchid into the focal plane. The only thing I might think about doing differently would be to maybe take out the small piece of orchid on the righthand side that is peeking out along the larger petal's edge. Either way it's a beauty of an image. TFS!

Vida van der Walt
09-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Lovely image Ed. I agree with Julie on the different angle and you captured the nice detail of the flower very well. What did you use as a bg? The only thing I'm unsure of is the shade of green of the bg (purely a personal preference and does not distract from the lovely image)

Ed Cordes
09-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the responses. The BG is a green felt like cloth lying on the floor behind the flower pot.