PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Anglewing

Steve Large
09-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Hi,
Sure hope that I am posting this on the proper forum. I was up at the 4000 foot level in the mountains yesterday on a hike and managed to use my telephoto lens for some close up photography. Not exactly true macro but still a pretty butterfly.

Stats: Canon 50D, 100-400 IS USM at 400mm, ISO 800, F/8, 1/800 Sec.

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Julie Kenward
09-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Steve, this is definitely in the right forum! Beautiful angelwing you got here. I think it could have used a little wider aperture in the field to bring down the distractions in the BG a bit more. If you can find a way to clone out the stick on the right side I think that would really help the image. Also, I'd give the butterfly a round of selective sharpening just to really crisp up his edges and details.

Ed Cordes
09-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Very interesting BF. You don't have to use a macro lens to do macro work. This is a very good overall presentation. I agree with Julie's suggestions, but like it as presented as well.

Steve Large
09-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the comments on this image. It's a funny thing that I hadn't noticed the stick at the right hand side but now you mention it my eye gets really drawn there. I have added some USM to make the butterfly sharper and cloned out the stick. Hope this looks a bit better.

Thanks,

Steve

Vida van der Walt
09-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Beautiful butterfly Steve and the sharpened image looks great. Maybe just do a little noise reduction on the bg but it is not a big issue.