PDA

View Full Version : Greater Shearwater

Paul Lagasi
09-13-2009, 12:00 PM
Hi All
I needed a better photo of a Greater Shearwater, I went to Grand Manan in Bay of Fundy. Getting these birds up close was tough, the only way to photograph them is from the ferry to the island...I got lucky they're were probably over a thousand shearwaters, almost 50/50, Greater and Sooty's on the 1 1/2 hour trip over.

This bird came in for a landing low over the water, being on the upper deck, I could only hope he would bank a little before landing...lucky for me he did.

D300
nikon 300 2.8
1/3200
f4
iso-800
VR on/active
hand held
large crop

Daniel Cadieux
09-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Hey Paul, it must be great to witness these pelagic birds let alone photograph them. The tough (harsh-ish) light made exposure very difficult hence the hot whites and very dark blacks. HA is also an issue, but man I'd love to get an opportunity such as you did. I like the spread tail, and the splashing drops behind.

Paul Lagasi
09-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks Dan..I tried many combinations, spot exposure would have been ok but trying to keep these guys in centre of lens is tough..all I did was expose for the water and played with exposure compensation....

Earliest ferry to Grand Manan is 7:30am, birds are about 20 min out, getting a Shearwater close is the problem, also they hardly ever fly more than a few feet of the surface...

this photo is full frame, I was almost hanging over the edge with my 300, shadows are caused by the ferry...

Axel Hildebrandt
09-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I've been on several pelagic trips and know how low the keeper rate is. To get the birds closer many tour operator chum. I like the take-off pose and composition in this one and would tone down the whites some more.

Paul Lagasi
09-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks Axel..will play with whites..

Bryan Hix
09-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Good action, but I would prefer a better angle of flight. The whites look a little hot. Next bird though.