PDA

View Full Version : Landscape - Lake Clark National Park No. 1

Robert Amoruso
09-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Lark Clark Nat. Park, AK from my recent Coastal Brown Bear Workshop. Three image HDR with Light Smoothing set low in Photomatix. I know that is not to everyone tastes but it conveys how I feel about the image better then a straight interpretation.

Canon 50D
24-105mm @ 24mm
Subject dist: 653m
1/800 sec, 1/400 sec, 1/200 sec, f/20
Mode: Av
Metering: Evaluative
AEB comp: -1, 0, +1

Roman Kurywczak
09-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey Robert,
I'm not always the biggest fan of HDR's but the look here is rather interesting especially on the sky! As always with your seascapes while there isn't much of a strong FG element to focus on.....you get more out of light layer and texture play than anyone I know! I do wonder if getting more sky with a bit off the bottom was the way to go.....more of a rule of fourths comp (1 part sea/land and 3 parts sky)......but this was very nicely handled. One of your bears in there......would put this off the charts!

Robert Amoruso
09-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the comments Roman. Light and texture is what attracted me to the scene and the HDR got the look I wanted. Otherwise, it is just too high contrast and not really pleasing a look.

Full image posted for a cropping suggestion. During editing I felt the left side was too lite (balance-wise) in comparison to the right side due to the clouds. Bears were in the other direction. :)

Roman Kurywczak
09-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Hey Robert,
Here's my whack at it! Kept most of the clouds on the left as I like the way they mimic the shoreline.....I even considered just some off the bottom and leave the entire sky.....re-post represents the most I would crop for my tastes. Let's see what tohers come up with!

Robert Amoruso
09-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks Roman. Will be interesting what other suggestions people come up with.

Jackie Schuknecht
09-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Think I like you first post Robert. I wasn't a fan at first, but the more I look at it, it seems to grow on me. The HDR creates a nice mood, and I like the feeling of desolation.

kevinmat
09-14-2009, 10:46 PM
I think you did a great job with the clouds, but a bit undecided on the sand and water, Roman's crop is better for me, great image though. The more I look at it the more I like it.

Rich Ikerd
09-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Wonderful study in light and layers Robert. I like your original crop as the wet shoreline nicely balances the sky. And the HDR settings, while they might not look good for any other image, really work here. Not sure how you got distracted from the bears but this is really nice.

Harold Davis
09-15-2009, 03:50 PM
i like the full image, myself. i think the darker tones and textures at the bottom really help anchor it. whereas the cropped version doesnt include that.

Robert Amoruso
09-17-2009, 09:25 AM
i like the full image, myself. i think the darker tones and textures at the bottom really help anchor it. whereas the cropped version doesnt include that.

Harold,

Thanks. I think I have come around to my original composition in the field as being better then the cropped version.