PDA

View Full Version : Any birds in the SE at the moment?

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi All,
I shall be visiting SE Florida in a couple of weeks - staying in Ft Lauderdale and will have a car - and am wondering if there are any bird photography opportunities at the moment. Am thinking of Wakodahatchee, Green Cay, Anhinga Trail, or perhaps some of the beaches. Any thoughts?
Thanks so much!
Best regards,
Nicki

Connie Mier
09-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Nicki, I haven't been to those specific places recently, so maybe someone else can comment on them for you. Anhinga Trail might have some action by October, certainly the fishing cormorants will be active. One little gem of a possibility is Crandon Park in Key Biscayne. It's overrun with nonnative birds who are fed daily, but you will find the usual natives such as tricolor herons, GWE, ibises, cormorants and anhingas. There are some mute swans and peacocks there as well. It's a beautiful park, full of luscious tropical vegetation and several little ponds, inhabited by crocodiles.
Connie

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks so much Connie! I haven't heard of this place before - is it easy to find? I shall have to try googling it.
Best,
Nicki

Connie Mier
09-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Nicki, it's very easy to find if you are willing to make the drive there from Ft Lauderdale (guessing maybe 25 miles, straight shot on I-95). You'll find Key Biscayne quite beautiful and Crandon Beach has been voted as one of the country's best beach. Where I am referring you to specifically is Crandon Gardens, next to the beach. Here's a link to a write up somebody posted several years ago. It explains the area quite well and nothing has really changed since it was written.
Connie
http://10000birds.com/crandon-park-miami.htm

Jay Abrams
09-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Green Cay has been more active as of late than has Wako, but both are very close and are worth visiting. Year around residents such as Limpkins, Ibis, various herons, Egrets, Moorhens, Red wing blackbirds, and Anhingas have been plentiful along with their young. Wood storks were common earlier this summer, and a few may still be around. By the time you come, there may be some early migratory species, as well. So, its worth the trip up from Ft. Lauderdale if your itching to get out. But, most bird visitors won't be here yet.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Connie and Jay - thanks so much for the help and the info. I shall definitely try both locations as I don't mind the driving. I know how to get to Wako and Green Cay, but do I get to Crandon Gardens from South Beach or should I cross over the Rickenbacker Causeway and approach it from there? From looking at Google Maps this would seem to be the way to go.
Thanks again!
Best regards,
Nicki

Connie Mier
09-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Nicki, across the Rickenbacker. I-95 will take you directly there, just look for the signs as you are passing downtown Miami.

Once you cross the Rickenbacker bridge it's about 5 miles, and you cross another bridge. You'll then see signs for Crandon Park. Look for the left turn into south beach (not THE south beach, rather the south end of Crandon Beach). Once into the parking lot just continue driving the perimeter of the parking lot until you are on the furthest southern portion and you will see a fenced area. That's Crandon Gardens.
Connie

PS, it's really quite lovely there early morning. If you arrive close to sunrise, the gated entrance at Crandon Gardens may not yet be open but you can still park and it won't cost you. If it isn't open promptly for you to get in, just a short wait is all it takes.

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Connie, thanks so much!

Judd Patterson
09-14-2009, 06:24 PM
As much as I love Everglades National Park, I would not recommend Anhinga Trail at this point. My last scouting run through there netted 0 birds and 1 alligator. Of course it was not a great time of day (mid-afternoon), but still...:)

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks Judd - I'll give that one a miss!!

Richard Peters
09-15-2009, 05:21 PM
I visit Florida quite a bit and have done a 'guide' of sorts to some locations, you can read it HERE (http://www.richardpeters.co.uk/blog/2008/12/21/florida-wildlife-d3-d300/).

Wako and Green Cay are both pretty good, with Green Cay being my fav but Wako is easier to get closer to the birds. Viera is well worth a trip too if you don't mind the drive (exit 191 off the i95).

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Richard, thanks very much - enjoyed reading your blog!
Best,
Nicki

Harold Davis
09-17-2009, 03:37 PM
nicki, just call us when you get here. we'll find you something!!!! :)

Richard Peters
09-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Richard, thanks very much - enjoyed reading your blog!
Best,
Nicki
Your welcone, glad you enjoyed it :D

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Harold!!
Have sent you an email (from your website). Hope to hook up with you next week if you have time - can't wait to see what birds you find for me!!!
Best regards,
Nicki